Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

The title,discription and subject heading says it all.

I have a 1992 Aspencade.

Yesterday I was running just shy of 50 MPH when I kicked it down a couple of gears to zip into traffic. Sadly, instead of dropping to third, I apparently dropped it into second. I ran it from 50 to 58 MPH and watched my tach hit 5,800 RPM without even missing a beat. I quickly put her into third and continued to accellerate as I moved into the piece of realestate I had my eyes on, then upshifted to 5th to hold my position.

I asked myself, does the 1500 even have a rev limiter? My speedometer reads exactly what my GPS registers. 58 MPH is 58 MPH and in Second Gear 2,000 RPM is 20 MPH, 3,000 RPM is 30 MPH. So if this is right then I must have been at an actual 5,800 RPM.

Any thoughts? Just how high is the Rev Limiter set at? How many of you ahve bounced off of the Rev limiter?

FerrariMX5

·
Premium Member
2,929 Posts
imported post

Rev limiter only cuts out ignition to try to stop acceleration. If you are in first gear and open the throttle, it will stop accelerating when it hits the rev limiter, because it will cut out the ignition.

A rev limiter will NOT help you if you downshift wrong. In that case, you've got the motion of the bike revving the engine up, and even killing the ignition will not help you - it will just keep going up until valves hit pistons and other bad things, or the bike slows down.

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
imported post

I hit the limit once trying to get out of the way of a fast car. I nearly go run over at 55 + MPH. When the engine hit the limit it felt like it sputtered and was starving for fuel. Some other informed members on these boards assured me that an occasional limit tapping, for lack of a better term, would'nt be a problem. My engine still runs like new and shows no sign of damage.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I don't know for sure but my '93 won't top 120mph, just a bit shy even when it's running downwind which made me suspect that somewhere around 5500-5800 there's some limiting bein' done. I really don't like revving that silent six much over 4500rpm, seems to me the acceleration tapers off above that.

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
61,500 Posts
imported post

Mine would hit 6300 without any trouble. When it hit that point though, it was like shutting the key off. It just spluttered until the throttle was backed off.

·
Premium Member
1,785 Posts
imported post

My 1500 1996 asp also start sputtering around 6000 rpm and then take about 1 or 2 miles to come "back" to normal. In 1st or 2 nd gear you reach that rpm very quick.

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
imported post

Thank you for all of your responses. It sped to 58MPH faster than I could process we were entering into the RED Zone. Did not sputter at all, so I guess the rev limiter must be set for a slightly higher than normal red line. GSMacLean, when I kicked it down into second I was still 600 RPM below the danger zone, but it quickly ran past the redline and tried to run past the endzone. Shifting into third allowed me to smoothly set up camp and gather my thoughts. Playing in traffic in the wrong gear is an eye opener. Fortunately everything turned out okay, but from now on I will only drop down one gear at a time.

·
Premium Member
276 Posts
imported post

My Honda Shadow Sabre hits the Rev Limiter at 6300.
Had the GL1200 past 5500 and still going strong.
I prefer to not do that, but, it's nice cocktail party fodder.

·
Texas Boy
278 Posts
imported post

Dave, the 1200 redlines at 7500 and doesn't start making max power until you pass 4500. 5500 is a cakewalk for that bike.

·
Premium Member
437 Posts
imported post

The 1500 runs out of power at 5500 so I don't take it there.
If I'm out on a thrash I'll change gear at 5000 so that it's straight back in the power when I changed up. The rev limiter usually cuts out one of the coils to stop over revving and is set to prevent engine damage so don't worry if you hit it.

·
Probationary
4,535 Posts
imported post

I once had to ditch a tailgater on my 1500, guy was a real tool.

I came to a stop sign at a left turn only highway. It was big fun opening-up those 6 cyls on an uphill curve & it felt like the bike wanted to race out from under me.

Don't remember what gear I was in, [past 2nd for sure] but the tach lookedlike 6300 rpms+ when I shifted & never showed any hesitation.

The tailgater was a dot in my mirror & a fading memory. I wondered about the limiter and figured I just got real close to it.

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
imported post

EXAVID YOU SAID YOURS DOES A BIT UNDER 120,I CANT GET MINE PAST 105?RUNS GREAT BUT NOT NEAR 120.

·
Premium Member
361 Posts
imported post

Pate wrote:
EXAVID YOU SAID YOURS DOES A BIT UNDER 120,I CANT GET MINE PAST 105?RUNS GREAT BUT NOT NEAR 120.
I have had mine to 110, on the speedo and GPS, but I ran out of road and nerve? Going to try to get 120 but 'conditions' just haven't been right. I am 68 years old and don't want to have a leo stop me at those speeds so I am cautious when doing this kid stuff! ;)

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
61,500 Posts
imported post

Hey racingbanker16,

I thought you were still a kid :cheeky1:, at heart anyway.

I'm 66 and I sure am not willing to start acting like an "old fart" anytime soon. :cooldevil:

·
Premium Member
361 Posts
imported post

AZgl1500

I may look like an 'old fart' but I don'tride like one. ;)In Southern Indiana we don't have those "miles and miles" of "miles and miles" like you have in Arizona.You have to find 'the right place' and 'the right time' to open the old girl up and drive those kinds of speeds. The 'nerve' I was referring to was the fear of getting stopped by the police.I'm still going to see what she will do but a person can get locked up for doing 120 or so around here and that definitely would not be a good example for my kids. I'll post when I get her up to120 or so.

·
Premium Member
14,148 Posts
imported post

I've hit the rev limiter a few times on my 1500. Mostly exact same thing you described, I was in second gear when I thought I was in third gear and I was trying to hurry up and get into traffic on the interstate. In second gear, there's almost no resistance to the throttle. ;)

I can't nail down the exact RPM that it kicks in, but I think it's gotta be at least 6000, maybe a hair over that. The problem is that I'm never looking at the tach when I hit it... I'm usually looking in my mirrors at the car that's about to run me over....:shock: But I have had the needle deep in the red zone several times.

The others are right though, even if you don't hit the rev limiter, there isn't any power up there. It has never been on purpose that I was revving that high.

On the other hand, the red zone is so low on the 1500 compared to the 1200. When I had my 1200, I don't recall ever being up to the red line. It's so much higher that it ends up being less likely to get there by mistake.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.