Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

i synched my carbs although will be doing agina after the seafoam does iots magic on a bike that sat for 3 years outside.

My carb issues are almost nill and 1 of the tranny problems is solved.

i used to slip while hitting WOT from a low rpm range. that is now gone but taking off in first still gets me. Sometimes it will be smooth others it will feel like surging. not comfortable for myself or the pass. If I try to compensate and rev higher I still feel a surge but now stronger.

Whats the ideal RPM to be in when aon a level surface. Tonight i thought i found it at 2200 while lightly feathering the clutch.

It seems like from the start of the friction zone to the fully released position is only a MM. Should I have to re bleed the clutch. SHould there be a larger friction zone.

DO I just need more practice.

this is my first hydro clutch.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,711 Posts
imported post

I think it will just take a bit to get used to it.

I had the same problem at first. After a few weeks I wasn't even thinking about it anymore.

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

i notice the same. but on my bike it doesn't feel like its a fuel related issue. i think i just take off with very low throttle and the clutch will feel rough.. if i rev to 2400 rpm and slowly release the clutch, it will engage smoothly

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

My bike would chatter on take off sometimes, more often when it was cold. Replacing the clutch plates solved all those problems. The surface of the plates become hard and smooth after 25 years of being soaked in oil, and replacing them is not that hard or expensive.

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

i`ll bet it will inprove with useage--mine did on my barn find 83 .

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
imported post

My 99 SE does the same thing when hot or with the temp guage above mid scale. Oil seems to have alot to do with that shudder. I tried Honda oil, and it was worse.(?) Went to Delo400LE, and the shudder was considerably less,but still there when starting out from a stop, on a hill, 2-up. Trying to "slip" the clutch does no good either. I will replace the clutch after this recession. (Optomistic,I know!) Several people with wings have told me thiers does the same thing. jimsjinx

·
Premium Member
9,790 Posts
imported post

muaymendez1 wrote:
i synched my carbs although will be doing agina after the sea-foam does iots magic on a bike that sat for 3 years outside.

My carb issues are almost nill and 1 of the tranny problems is solved.

i used to slip while hitting WOT from a low rpm range. that is now gone but taking off in first still gets me. Sometimes it will be smooth others it will feel like surging. not comfortable for myself or the pass. If I try to compensate and rev higher I still feel a surge but now stronger.

Whats the ideal RPM to be in when aon a level surface. Tonight i thought i found it at 2200 while lightly feathering the clutch.

It seems like from the start of the friction zone to the fully released position is only a MM. Should I have to re bleed the clutch. SHould there be a larger friction zone.

DO I just need more practice.

this is my first hydro clutch.
Hey Jose, Have you ran any sea-foam in the oil yet? I did, put a bit in there per container and ran approx 100 miles and then did a oil change to include filter change. Things improvedbunches for me, over all shifting was smoother and engine sounded better. Not sure if this helps with your question but hey its just my 2 bits anyway.

Hows that master cylinder holding up?

Ride Safe, Ray

:action:

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

Not sure exactly what you are trying to say. Take the bike out and on a stretch of road with no traffic take it up to about 45 mph in third gear, now shift to fourth and open the throttle wide open. If it is the clutch plates it will show up in the high gear as slippage.
Kinda sounds like that to me, not sure , but seems to indicate that.

Kit

·
Premium Member
395 Posts
imported post

I agree with Sam. Mine would graunch and judder. I changed the plates and it was totally cured. They didn't look worn but were a bit black. Can be done engine in situ- access is a little awkward though. Don't worry if it makes a knock on heavy getaways in first gear, as I think they all do that, due to some kind of damper in the driveline. steve

·
Premium Member
4,910 Posts
imported post

Based on the title of your thread, you are asking whether we start smoothly...my 1200 ('87 w/~65k miles) starts out perfectly smooth with no warm-up, at idle speed (~950 rpm), and does not exhibit any rpm drop-off. I cannot be "spastic" with the clutch of course, but that is mostly true of any manual-clutch street vehicle. It will also run right up to red line on command, so the timing must be in an acceptable range...:cool:

I might add that my 1st two 'Wings were brand new from the crate, and they too were fine examples of quality builds...smooth, powerful starts...marvelous power band for street use...:action:

When I got my current 'Wing, it had been neglected (fork seals, water pump, contaminated front brake pads, bald tires) but the PO certainly had (or was) a fine engine wrench...:waving:

·
Premium Member
2,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Well Just added seafoam and did my first 10 miles to work and back.My cranckase had gas in it. I replaced the oil then flushed after only 200 mile. the gas must have cleaned some of the gunk because the oil was black. Now with 300 miles my oil is clean but still looking for a better ride so In with the seafoam.

As far as clutch plates and hard parts. they will have to wait till i start working full time again and regain my financial control.

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
imported post

I hear ya on the financial part. My shop has not brought in ANY work for 2 weeks, and I just finished my next to last project, delivering tomorrow. I start work on an antique bed, and that's all she wrote. Gettin kinda scared, I usually have jobs lined up a month ahead of time,and we've been praying for work, but no answers as of yet! God help us all stay afloat. jimsjinx

·
Premium Member
2,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

Just got the announcement yesterday that I will be going from a 4 day to a 5 day work week.

I am in the trucking industry and last week has picked up some .

WIth having to deliver grass seed and lawn equipment to distributing outer wear and patio furniture. I guess they are shipping because some are buying. Hopefully thgis is a good sign.

It will still take time because even if people have the xtra to spend they will think twice before spending it.
I just spoke to a buddy. We will be going riding on sunday and I explained that he sholdnt be supprised if I set off on my own or decide not to go to lunch or the bar with them.

I may just hang in the parking lot eating my sandwich and drinking my bottle of water.

One income and 4 kids. I have to think of them before sitting and spending an extra 10 on a meal.

·
Senior Memory
613 Posts
imported post

My bike will shudder and lurch a little if I try a low RPM take off. I rev to around 2000-2200 RPM and it smooths it out but often toward the end of clutch let out I will still get a touch of snap like the plates are catching. I just changed oil to Delo 400LE but the rain set in so I havent taken it for a ride yet. I hope it helps. I too must wait for finances to improve before replacing clutch plates. It has a little shimmy like there is a warped disk so I know I need to redo the clutch.

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
imported post

:waving:Have never had any problems with my '83 Interstate as it has always started out smooth in first gear.

·
Premium Member
399 Posts
imported post

my netural light will flash sometimes when i gear from first to second, and visa versa, also mine would jump into first gear, after using seafoam really smooth now.

·
Administrator
26,181 Posts
imported post

I have an idea I would like someone to try with an older wing that might help with the clutch shudder. There is a product called Dr. Tranny's shudder eliminator, it is a small maybe 1 oz tube of liquid, made to eliminate the shudder in automatic transmissions when the torque converter goes into lockup and it does work. Since the torque converter lock up clutch is a wet clutch the product might do the same thing in a motorcycle wet clutch. I'm sure it wouldn't hurt anything and if I had an older wing I would try it myself. I think it can be found at some parts stores but I got some somewhere online, can't remember where, that's what google is good for.

·
Premium Member
240 Posts
imported post

Hydraulic clutches don't have adjustments like cable ones, you are stuck with the preset pressure at the lever. I'm not familiar with the GL1200, but the 1800 has an adjuster dial on the lever that makes a difference to how it feels.

·
Administrator
26,181 Posts
imported post

The adjuster on the 1800 levers only adjusts the distance from the grip to accommodate different size hands.

·
Premium Member
2,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
imported post

update. I thre some seafom in the crankcase yesterday. Didnt ride home so i left it at work. Started her up tonight to get home and that shudder was gone.
the main diffences.
Seafoam in oil after 10 miles
rise in ambient temp from 30 to 60 all day. Started the bike at 50 fareheit.
I love seafoam and live by it for the carbs but am skeptical about it in the oil. So I ave tried to supply reasons for the stop in the shudder I was feeling.
Maybe I have become more aware of the use of the clutch. \maybe the temp had something to do.Maybe a bike that was sitting for 3 years outside may have needed some miles on to clear things up.\
I wont give this one to seafoam just yet. I will say that with it in it has quit. you make your decisions.
I will update after 200 miles when I see what comes out with the oil change.
All that said. My bike is running like a champ.
i am so happy.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.