Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

you go into an establishment, come out and try to start your bike only for it not to.... after almost running your battery down you realize some dipstick has moved your shutoff switch to the off position....

I always shut off the bike with the key, and never touch that switch. So the light bulb doesnt come on until I have sat there for about 2 minutes in panic as to why my bike wont start.....

Why cant people keep their hands off others stuff!?!?!?

Sorry for the rant... but had to let off some steam. This happened at a bike shop of all places, where most know to respect another persons ride... Some people!

·
Premium Member
9,409 Posts
imported post

Never had that problem because I always shut my bike off with the kill switch so it is just natural for me to check it.... If I do forget to check it and hit the start button, nothing happens :waving:

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
imported post

That is one of the reasons I always turn my kill switch off. Makes me look to turn it on. And yes, I wish people would keep their hands off my ****.

James

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
imported post

Mick Shane wrote:
you go into an establishment, come out and try to start your bike only for it not to.... after almost running your battery down you realize some dipstick has moved your shutoff switch to the off position....
Yeah, that "dipstick" was following me around for awhile....... "He" would strike every once in awhile, and usually at gas (petrol) stations.....

I would grind and grind and curse and curse....... and then finally I figure it out, start the bike, and then trundle off, wondering why the "dipstick" was targeting me, sweet old me......

And then I discovered that I was the "dipstick!" I have a tank bag which I had to move in order to fill the tank.... I'd break the magnetic bond, and then push it up toward the windscreen to get at the fuel pipe. Sometimes when I pushed extra hard, it would turn the switch! Sure wasteda lot of curses!

"We have met the 'dipstick,' and he is us!"

:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
imported post

Time to start using the kill switch I guess... LOL

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

i never really have that problem them harly fanatics leave me alone when i leave them in the dust one guy has a brand new harley fatboy 1540cc or so says he can smoke me

well he did at the start but after he hit his max speed at around 105 i passed him like he was standing still now the speedo only goes to 85 and im sure i was doin a wee bit faster than that

so no one messes with my kill switch

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
imported post

Cousin Jack wrote:

"We have met the 'dipstick,' and he is us!"

:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

You and me both, Mel...I STILL am grateful the whole crew in Ireland didn't leave me behind at the ferry, when my bike woulnd't start.....DUH! :cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

I've only used a "kill" switch once...to shut off my best college bud's bike, after he'd done a spectacular somersault, and ended up on his arse in the street, with the bike still running...but, um, horizontally orientated? :dude:

Of course...there's always the high beam/turn signal/4-way flasher thing, too, but....we won't talk about that,ok? :D:waving:

·
Premium Member
259 Posts
imported post

It seems like I remember a post, that suggested you should always use the kill switch; which of course, I do. Anyway, I've never experienced that kind of problem.

·
Premium Member
633 Posts
imported post

If my bike doesn't start as soon as I hit the starter I know I hit it with my hand or something and stop,because it doesn't have to crank over a second to start.It is the fastest starting bike I have ever had.

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

kyboy67 wrote:
If my bike doesn't start as soon as I hit the starter I know I hit it with my hand or something and stop,because it doesn't have to crank over a second to start.It is the fastest starting bike I have ever had.
Yep. Same here. On and off the button and it's running.

·
Registered
297 Posts
imported post

My kill switch only gets used if I accidentally turn it or someone does it for me. I don't think a stranger has ever goofed with my kill switch, but my buddies sure have.

Most people are wise to the kill switch trick. Now days the 1800 guys push in the reverse button, it has the same effect.

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
imported post

The kill switch is the safest way to turn off the engine. Your hands never leave the handlebars so you never loose control. Always use "FINE-C" to start you bike.

Fuel switch, Ignition switch, Neutral, Engine cut-off switch, Clutch and choke. Works everytime! We teach everyone to use the kill switch to turn off the bike and FINE-C to start it. Saves the battery, starter and no frustration.

Bernie

·
Registered
297 Posts
imported post

Dubswing wrote:
The kill switch is the safest way to turn off the engine. Your hands never leave the handlebars so you never loose control. Always use "FINE-C" to start you bike.

Fuel switch, Ignition switch, Neutral, Engine cut-off switch, Clutch and choke. Works everytime! We teach everyone to use the kill switch to turn off the bike and FINE-C to start it. Saves the battery, starter and no frustration.

Bernie
It’s probably a good idea to get used to using the kill switch. I usually put down the kickstand which has the same affect.

What are these fuel switches and chokes you speak of? :cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

I have a better one than the kill switch.

GL-1200 Fuel petcock. I don't touch it, I know no one that does on a regular basis.

I rode my 1200 to get to the airport for a business flight. Just a half mile or so from the house it died for no reason that I could figure.

I messed with it, nearly killed the battery before determining that some dips*** turned off my fuel petcock.

I was mad as hell.

I guess a FINE-C would fix that, but I just don't have the petcock on my preflight list.

·
Premium Member
259 Posts
imported post

Dubswing wrote:

Bernie
Very informative post. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
imported post

Yep, FINE-C to start and Thumb-Key-Valve to shut down.

Thumb - Engine cut-off switch (we don't teach "kill" switch)

Key - Ignition

Valve - fuel valve where appropriate

The side-stand trick works, but for newbies, I don't want to have them fumbling with the stand while the engine is running and the bike is in gear.

·
Premium Member
2,076 Posts
imported post

Ive got some friend's that's if touch there bike without asking you might be getting hurt

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

Humm... my bike usually starts with one click on the start button.. if it fails to start i check the kill switch and try again.

·
Premium Member
672 Posts
imported post

aht_six wrote:
My kill switch only gets used if I accidentally turn it or someone does it for me. I don't think a stranger has ever goofed with my kill switch, but my buddies sure have.

Most people are wise to the kill switch trick. Now days the 1800 guys push in the reverse button, it has the same effect.
I have been having the problem with the reverse button this past week while riding in Az. I put my helmet over the handle when I stop, so I must be pushing it in.

I also a a duh moment when I couldn't get the reverse to work because I had the kick stand down. I thought it was busted!:dude::dude:

Boy, that gives me some great ideas. I have a friend that just upgraded to an 1800. We will be riding in the next couple days. :cooldevil::cooldevil::cooldevil:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.