Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
recently bought a 2003 GL1800. unfortunatley it's got to sit for 4-5 months while I wait for winter to go away.

question is if there is any continuous load like a clock that will eventually drain a good battery. On most bikes I can just put a charger on once a month but I've had a few that needed a constant maintainer.

So... GL1800 need constant maintainer . . . or not?

thx in advance for comments or advice.

·
Premium Member
456 Posts
Yes...clock and radio memory. The current draw is very small. It's not necessary to use a continuous maintainer. Charging once a month is adequate. I'd say disconnect the negative battery terminal and reset your clock next Spring.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
If I was going to let a battery sit for that long I'd put a battery tender on it.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
The 1800 uses an AGM battery so just disconnect the battery then reconnect it in the spring and go riding.

·
Senior Moment Member
3,707 Posts
Both Paul and Ken have the right ideas. If I let my bike set for a few weeks to a couple of months I put it on a maintainer. If I need to let it set while I go on travel for more than 3 months I disconnect the battery and keep it in a controlled environment on the center stand.

·
Premium Member
574 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I understood if you unhook the battery you have to reset the ecm. That is what I've done every time I pull the negative cable. Not a big deal but waiting till it warms all the way up can take awhile.:?

·
Premium Member
456 Posts
I'm not sure just disconnecting the battery will cause the ECM to require initialization. Even so, you don't have to wait til the bike warms up, you only have to wait til the idle speed stabilizes at 800RPM...really only a couple minutes.

The other thing to keep in mind is the temp the battery is stored at. If it's in the warm it will require more frequent charging. It's cold enough here in MN (slow discharge), that if left in a cold garage (my preference) with a full charge it will probably last all Winter. Still a good idea to charge a few times.

I've had as good (actually better) results by an occasional Winter storage charge as opposed to using a tender. What's really important is making sure you have a good full charge going into the storage period. To me, tenders are more useful for infrequent Summer use...batteries discharge much faster at the higher temperatures.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
It depends on the type of battery and it's condition and age. A slight bit of sulfation won't hurt the battery's ability to work but it will decrease the internal resistance and allow it to self discharge more rapidly. All batteries will self discharge it just takes longer for some. For long layups I've used those cheapo battery tenders sold by HF with good results.

·
Senior Moment Member
3,707 Posts
I forgot to put a tender on the wife's Burgman and it set for almost a year. By that time the battery was toast. After getting her a new battery I also picked up one of the Harbor Freight maintainer like Paul uses. It's not much good for charging a down battery but it appears to do a good job of just keeping the battery at peak charge.

Henry

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
Yep, that's why they call those things battery tenders instead of chargers.;)

·
Senior Guru
4,298 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I understood if you unhook the battery you have to reset the ecm. That is what I've done every time I pull the negative cable. Not a big deal but waiting till it warms all the way up can take awhile.:?
The ecm has no power to it at all, when key is off, not even an "always hot". It (ecm) is not the adaptable type, like the OBDI & II types. (altho, it can relearn the proper idle. So, disconnecting the battery makes no difference to ecm. No reset required. The radio presets, the suspension memory's, time, And possibly any other add-on device with an always hot lead, have to be reprogrammed.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.