Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Like it says the trip computer never shuts off. I just got it so I haven't looked at it yet. Do they all do this and are they supposed to stay on? Is there a relay stuck? Seems to me it ought to shut off when you turn off the key.

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
imported post

The clock will stay on when the bike is shut off.

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
imported post

Yep, just like he said:

Snorebaby wrote:
The clock will stay on when the bike is shut off.

Gotta watch, when it gets down cold and you can't ride for a few days or so cause of ice or snow, the clock will be just enough of a drain on your battery to run it low, or at least mine does. Of course a heated garage would help wonders I bet. That's someting I'll probably never get to find out about though.

If I think it'll sit too long, I take the battery with me inside where it's warm and stick it on the battery tender.

When the weather warms up, that worry's gone. Bike never sits long enough!

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

OK, I guess it is just the clock staying on. I don't want to take out the computer, it is too much fun (for now). I left the trickle charger on it, maybe when I ride more it will be OK.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
imported post

If mine sat for more that a week, it would be a drain on the battery. So to prevent it....the charger was connected when I knew I wouldn't be riding more than 2 days in a row.

·
Premium Member
2,013 Posts
imported post

On my LTD after about 7days without a ride I see some voltage drop offs, but she has never failed to start. I do put a battery tender on mine no after about 4-5 days without riding for no other reason than giving the weak charging system a fully charged battery to work with. But yeah, the clock will stay on and the map will flash all the time. Reading other posts on the subject I'd say after about 12-14 days you will have starting trouble with out battery tender. I hard wired my battery tender into battery with a two wire trailor connector for conveinance. Just plut it in and leave it. When your are ready to ride, just uplug and ride away.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
imported post

Ya know that is one good looking bike. Gotta love how a 20+ year old bike still looks sweet.

·
Premium Member
2,013 Posts
imported post

If your talking about mine thanks, and ditto.

Attachments

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I kept a battery tender on my SEi when I wasn't going to ride it for a fortnight or so. I installed a 12V socket inside the left fairing cubby direct wired to the battery with a blade type inline fuse holder and fuse. That way I could either use the socket for charging my cell phone or plug my battery tender in to the bike's system. I just cut off the tender's clips and attached a 12V plug. I got the tender from Harbor Freight for less than $5. I put the same set up in my 1500 to use for charging my cell phone and powering my GPS.

Battery Tender

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.