Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
28,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Someone asked the other day, 'What was your favorite 'fast food' when you were growing up?'
'We didn't have fast food when I was growing up,' I informed him.
'All the food was slow.'
'C'mon, seriously.. Where did you eat?'
'It was a place called 'home,'' I explained. !
'Mum cooked every day and when Dad got home from work, we sat down together at the dining room table, and if I didn't like what she put on my plate, I was allowed to sit there until I did like it.'

By this time, the lad was laughing so hard I was afraid he was going to suffer serious internal damage, so I didn't tell him the part about how I had to have permission to leave the table.

But here are some other things I would have told him about my childhood if I'd figured his system could have handled it:

Some parents NEVER owned their own house, wore jeans, set foot on a golf course, travelled out of the country or had a credit card.

My parents never drove me to school. I had a bicycle that weighed probably 50 pounds, and only had one speed, (slow).

We didn't have a television in our house until I was 10.
It was, of course, black and white, and the station went off the air at 10 pm, after playing the national anthem and epilogue; it came back on the air at about 6 a.m. and there was usually a locally produced news and farm show on, featuring local people...

I never had a telephone in my room. The only phone was on a party line. Before you could dial, you had to listen and make sure some people you didn't know weren't already using the line.

Pizzas were not delivered to our home... But milk was.

All newspapers were delivered by boys and all boys delivered newspapers --My brother delivered a newspaper, seven days a week. He had to get up at6AM every morning.

Film stars kissed with their mouths shut. At least, they did in the films. There were no movie ratings because all movies were responsibly produced for everyone to enjoy viewing, without profanity or violence or almost anything offensive.

If you grew up in a generation before there was fast food, you may want to share some of these memories with your children or grand children Just don't blame me if they bust a gut laughing.
Growing up isn't what it used to be, is it?

MEMORIES from a friend:
My Dad is cleaning out my grand mother's house (she died in December) and hebrought me an old Royal Crown Cola bottle. In the bottle top was a stopper with a bunch of holes in it... I knew immediately what it was, but my daughter had no idea.. She thought they had tried to make it a salt shaker or something. I knew it as the bottle that sat on the end of the ironing board to 'sprinkle' clothes with because we didn't have steam irons. Man, I am old.

How many do you remember?
Headlight dip-switches on the floor of the car.
Ignition switches on the dashboard.
Trouser leg clips for bicycles without chain guards.

Soldering irons you heated on a gas burner.
Using hand signals for cars without turn indicators.

>

Older Than Dirt Quiz:

Count all the ones that you remember, not the ones you were told about.
Ratings at the bottom.

1.. Sweet cigarettes
2. Coffee shops with juke boxes
3.Home milk delivery in glass bottles
4. Party lineson the telephone
5. Newsreels before the movie

6. TV test patterns that came on at night after the last show and were there until TV shows started again in the morning.. (There were only 2 channels [if you were fortunate])
7.Peashooters
8. 33 rpm records
9. 45 RPM records
10. Hi-fi's
11. Metal ice trays with levers
12. Blue flashbulb

13. Cork popguns
14.Wash tub wringers

If you remembered 0-3 = You’re still young
If you remembered 3-6 = You are getting older
If you remembered 7-10 = Don't tell your age
If you remembered 11-14 = You're positively ancient!

I must be 'positively ancient' but those memories are some of the best parts of my life.

Don't forget to pass this along!!
Especially to all your really
OLD friends....I just did!!!!!!!!!

(PS. I used a large type face so you could read it easily)

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
imported post

How 'bout only having to dial 5 numbers on the telephone (maybe even less for some of you). Heck...add rotary dial telephones to the list.

I'll admit, I'm only 45 but still scored 7 and yes, drove several cars with the headlight dimmer switch on the floor. Wish they still made them that way!

How 'bout 3-on-the-tree?

·
Senior Something
13,270 Posts
imported post

78's, 4 tracks, Incinerators, Drive in diners, Sonic doesn't count. Still have a 71 GMC 2500 with a floor high beam switch, key in the dash.

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Chuck&SuzyQ wrote:
Does this bring back old memories

[align=center]

:clapper:Nice post:clapper:[/align]

[align=center]

[/align]

[align=left]Here's anotherone for ya:[/align]

[align=left]I passed my driving test in the family's NEWcar, that had a starting/crank handle and the optional (expensive)extras included a radio &cigar lighter...........[/align]
[align=left]
[/align]

[align=left][/align]

[align=left]which wasn't available in mine[/align]

[align=left]
[/align]

[align=left][/align]

·
Premium Member
28,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

I took my drivers licensein a 1959 plymouth station wagon with 3 on the tree. My parents would not let me drive the Lincoln.

·
Premium Member
2,076 Posts
imported post

Holy crap im old i got 14 out of 14

·
Premium Member
1,653 Posts
imported post

I only got 13 of 14.

I missed the one about ice cube trays with levers.

I was about 13 when we first got a fridge. I don't recall if it had an ice box.

·
Premium Member
2,614 Posts
imported post

I got 13 out of 14, don't remember the newsreels before the movies, but then I never saw a movie until I was over 12 years old.

Strange, no mention of moon caps, banana seats, suicide knobs or wearing suits and ties for church, weddings and funerals .

LOL, pop this one on a kid and see what they say, "When I was a kid and wanted to watch tv, we had to wrap tinfoil over the rabbit ears."

·
Premium Member
5,319 Posts
imported post

I refuse to participate in this folly...I am NOT old...I am NOT old...I am NOT old!!
:sadguy:
:cheeky1:

·
Administrator
Xenforo vehicle detail line
59,244 Posts
imported post

I got everyone of them right.

But you all missed the most important one of all.

I personally got up at 5 A.M., poured a 14 quart milk pail full of hot water. Grabbed up a "clean towel" and slogged through the mud to the barn.

There, Jersey, still wearing her straw hat from yesterday, maybe, would moo at me as I pulled Alfalfa hay down and pitched it in the corner. She lost interest in the hay though, when I poured in about a gallon of sorghum molasses mixture of oats into the feed box.

Then, I kicked that old stool over near her, pulled the "now only warm" towel out of the water bucket. Put a bit of soft soap on my hand and caressed her bag and four teets. Wiped it all off nice and clean with the warm water and towel. Soaked it a bit longer until the teets started swelling up with milk.

Dispensed with the water and sat the milk bucket down and proceeded to double fisted squeeze out 14 quarts of 40% cream to milk. Sat the milk bucket aside, and pulled the bag balm cream out of my pocket, and salved her teets so they would not dry and chafe before the next milking, 12 hours exactly at 5 P.M.

You had to treat Jersey very nice, because if you didn't, she would contract mastitis and then our most prized possession would have to be sold to a butcher shop.

And that is just exactly the way I remember 13 years of taking care of my Jersey milk cow. She served us faithfully through 13 calves and providing milk for us and the neighbors. I sold her milk for 85 cents/gallon or 25 cents/quart. 6 quarts for "us" each day, and 8 quarts for "first come, first serve" after that.

I started milking her at the age of 6, and I was a year out of high school when we had to sell her. We went on a rare vacation and my cousin promised to care for her. That meant at exactly 5 a.m. and 5 p.m., of course, what does a cow know about what time it is? He didn't care. Missed one milking altogether.

When we got home, her bag was ruined solid as a drum with mastitis.

I wanted it kill him.

Oh, I have yet to shake hands with someone who can squeeze tighter than myself.

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
imported post

You also might remember going outside to "pump" water for Grandma, taking baths in the middle of the kitchen floor in a washtub, heating the water on the barrel stove, going down to the root cellar for potatoes....my first time at a Minnesota Twins game...walking into the old Met stadiam and proclaiming, "the grass is green!" DUH!!!! Only because the only time watching baseball on TV was on a Black and White...

·
Premium Member
446 Posts
imported post

Captainbrian47 wrote:
Chuck&SuzyQ wrote:

[align=center]

[align=center]

[/align]

[align=left]I passed my driving test in the family's NEWcar, that had a starting/crank handle and the optional (expensive)extras included a radio &cigar lighter...........[/align]

[align=left]
[/align]

[align=left][/align]

[align=left]
[/align]

[align=left][/align]
Was your ride in front of or behind the fence?

·
Premium Member
446 Posts
imported post

Captainbrian47 wrote:
Chuck&SuzyQ wrote:

[align=center]

[align=center]

[/align]

[align=left]
[/align]

[align=left][/align]

[align=left]
[/align]

[align=left][/align]
Was your ride in front of or behind the fence?:cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
60,032 Posts
imported post

John

I miked enough cows as a kid to learn if milk was $10.00 a quart you couldn't give me a Dairy Farm...............

·
Administrator
Xenforo vehicle detail line
59,244 Posts
imported post

Bert,

I am with you on that one too. You will note that my vocation was in Electronics and as far from the farm as I could get.

I also remember the wash tub in the cellar full of grapes and bare feet mashing the grapes to a pulp. Then left to do their thing until the wine was ready.

And yes, I remember the pump handle at grandma's farm. I also remember the windmill at our farm, and me riding the pump up/down for hours at a time. No iPods then ya know...

·
Premium Member
410 Posts
imported post

I remembered all those and how about skate keys.

·
Old School Guru
7,887 Posts
imported post

Got them all right, so I'm ancient! Took my driver's exam in a 55 Chevy 3100 pickup. 235 engine with a 3 on the tree, best darn truck ever made.:clapper::clapper::clapper:

Gene:byebye:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.