Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Does anyone know if it hurts the inputs of the ECU to short or open the pulse sensor coils on a Goldwing... any Goldwing?

I know it will kill the engine to do this but does anyone know if it will hurt the electronics at all?

Also, does anyone know the resistance measurement of the pulse sensors?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

Hope you're not talking about your bike.

·
Premium Member
6,828 Posts
imported post

I am not 100% sure but fairly sure it would not harm the electronics. There are two different types of circuits that are usually used in cases like that. One has a 5 volt reference signal that is sent to the sensor. To short or open this will not damage it.
The second way the signal is used is that the low voltage produced by the pulse generator fires a transistor. If you short this it would send 0 volts to the transistor. No problem there. If it was open the same would be true. Being it is older technology I would bet the latter is true. As a rule a reluctor and pick up system will have a resistance of about 300 to 700 ohms. Generally they are in that type of range or really whacked out when bad. A meg or more is bad for sure. I would suspect under 1K.
Good luck

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
imported post

redwing52 wrote:
I am not 100% sure but fairly sure it would not harm the electronics. There are two different types of circuits that are usually used in cases like that. One has a 5 volt reference signal that is sent to the sensor. To short or open this will not damage it.
The second way the signal is used is that the low voltage produced by the pulse generator fires a transistor. If you short this it would send 0 volts to the transistor. No problem there. If it was open the same would be true. Being it is older technology I would bet the latter is true. As a rule a reluctor and pick up system will have a resistance of about 300 to 700 ohms. Generally they are in that type of range or really whacked out when bad. A meg or more is bad for sure. I would suspect under 1K.
Good luck
That's along the lines of what I was thinking too. Kind of like a magnetic microphone input.
Wish I knew for sure what that front end input looked like.

·
Administrator
26,996 Posts
imported post

It should be an AC sine wave. You could probably get a reading with an analog meter or of course with an oscilloscope.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,798 Posts
imported post

Rudy's bike isn't broke, he is trying to figure out how to build us a new gee whiz invention :cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
6,828 Posts
imported post

It should be 2 square waves if you have a scope. If you do have an analog meter typically 1 to 1 1/2 volts P to P. What are you after? Symptoms etc?

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts
imported post

My service manual says:
white and yellow leads (1&2)
white/blue and blue (3&4)
530 +- 50ohms at 68Farenheit

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
imported post

Guess I should explain a little...

I'm looking for a good way to kill the engine electrically, while running, without using the key or the kill switch, or stalling it under load.

I also want to be able to do this for any/all of the GL models.
I found this may be the best point to do this if it causes no harm to the system.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts
imported post

I don't see a problem, you just wouldn't have an input to the amplifier circuit(s). Which is a really easy spot to get to, by the way, right under the shelter? Power would still be on everything else though, of course. Same as kill switch.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
imported post

Anti Theft Device????

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
imported post

Mohawk wrote:
Anti Theft Device????
Indeed. For the multi-model SmartSentry and the sidestand switch version of SmartLight 1200, 1100 and 1000 with the engine kill option.

Plus that connection point is common to all GLs as far as I know. At least the steel framed versions of it. Don't yet know about the aluminum framed variation.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
imported post

Good Man,

I knew it would be something Cool.

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

Or you could have it activate on an setable overspeed switch in series witha radarsqwak detector.... :action: (then youwould have torename it after me..as the smartasslight..:cheeky1:)

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
imported post

sandiegobrass wrote:
Or you could have it activate on an setable overspeed switch in series witha radarsqwak detector.... :action: (then youwould have torename it after me..as the smartasslight..:cheeky1:)
Or even SmartWife. :cooldevil:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.