Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have been doing a lot of reading on here as I have started to strip my new Goldie, (2007 GL1800), and have found a lot of very useful info when checking bits out.

I have come accross some people doing exhaust mods to stock mufflers - knocking out the baffle end with a bar, drilling 1/2 inch holes in the rear muffler...!!!

Doesnt this mess up the bike?
How does the electronic management system deal with changes in back-pressure, exhaust flow, combustion temps etc?
Years ago when we had race bikes making changes to pipes often meant re-jetting the carbs to regain the correct mixture burn temps.
These GL1800's are far more complex now with all kinds of electronics and fuel injection...
Not sure I would like to try this on my new toy!?

Regards
EnEs63

·
Premium Member
314 Posts
The ecu on the wing is a bit less sophisticated than what is in your car. It can still easily compensate for any small changes that get made. Mostly through changing the injector pulse width, which is how long the injector stays open. The carburetors of yore did not have any adjustability on the fly. Thus the reason for changing jets. In short,...don't worry about it. It can handle whatever minor changes get made. All the electronics you refer to is what makes those variances easily coped with.

·
Registered
767 Posts
I have fooled with baffling on the 2009 Roadstar which is fuel injected. I had an AFR gauge installed and it doesn't have much effect on the fuel air ratio. However, opened too wide, and there are other things to be concerned about such as cold air reversion, and power loss on low end when dealing with the exhaust system.
I put 2 inch straight pipes on my '86, and by the time I got all the low end back it was baffled down pretty good, but without all the baffling it sounded obnoxious anyway.

·
Premium Member
314 Posts
I have fooled with baffling on the 2009 Roadstar which is fuel injected. I had an AFR gauge installed and it doesn't have much effect on the fuel air ratio. However, opened too wide, and there are other things to be concerned about such as cold air reversion, and power loss on low end when dealing with the exhaust system.
I put 2 inch straight pipes on my '86, and by the time I got all the low end back it was baffled down pretty good, but without all the baffling it sounded obnoxious anyway.
This is the typical results on any internal combustion engine if the exhaust is too open. And as mentioned, the A/F ratio remained as it should due to the ecu compensating.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I quite agree redwing52.
A little bit more 'throaty' isnt bad but some louder noises cheapen the whole presence of a nice 'wing...

Since having my new 'wing, I have found that in traffic around the city the noise of my bike is lost. This can sometimes give the feeling of not knowing exactly what the engine is doing at a particular moment in time.
The 'wings are generally so quiet I guess it is just something to get used to...

Regards
EnEs63

·
Premium Member
314 Posts
I quite agree redwing52.
A little bit more 'throaty' isnt bad but some louder noises cheapen the whole presence of a nice 'wing...

The 'wings are generally so quiet I guess it is just something to get used to...
This is what I just love about 'wings. It's nice to hear all the bugs and frogs in the ditches as you drive down those nice county roads.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.