Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Y'all told me when I joined this forum that these were good bikes. But you failed to warm me that they are habit forming. I just picked up a 94 aspy with a lot of deferred maintenance.

In an effort to diagnose a fuel pump issue I, like a dingus, hooked a jumper wire from the POS to THE WIRE instead of the blade terminal on the pump...

I don't know what I was thinking, please tell me I didn't toast anything too badly.

·
Administrator
26,544 Posts
If it still works everything is OK. I suppose it's possible you could have blown the transistor in the ECU. It is fixable though.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Everything still works, it seems. I'm thinking the pump is dead. I don't wanna pay $300 but man I wanna ride it.

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
The information your looking for is at the bottom of the page.

·
Premium Member
6,828 Posts
Everything still works, it seems. I'm thinking the pump is dead. I don't wanna pay $300 but man I wanna ride it.
First be sure you understand the theory of how the pump rins. Some think key on the pump should run but that is not right. The key on and the engine turning will send power to the pump only. Turn the engine with the starter or engine running will give ya power. Were you aware? 😎

The good news is if you jumped power from the pump to ground by accident and turmed on the key the wire would have no power so it wouldn't hurt anything. Or does the pump run and not pump fuel. More info please. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
269 Posts
Try flipping the kill switch. Pump should pump a little each time you turn it on. Works on GL 1200 anyway

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If the pump runs I can't hear it, but it must certainly does not pump fuel even while cranking. Sweet talking and switch gear fondling yield no results. Cold fish.
As an addendum, during the ppi and when I got her home the petcock was leaking into the overflow tray enough to fill it while idling. Ya think that wore it out?

·
Registered
108 Posts
The leaking petcock shouldn’t wreck the pump, but I’d fix that too! Do you have a test light? Do some cranking tests with it to confirm power ’in’, I would use a remote starter switch to jumper the pump. To confirm failure. Used pumps on EBay go pretty cheap. I’ve installed a used pump for a friend. His is still running good. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
3,756 Posts
If the pump runs I can't hear it, but it must certainly does not pump fuel even while cranking. Sweet talking and switch gear fondling yield no results. Cold fish.
As an addendum, during the ppi and when I got her home the petcock was leaking into the overflow tray enough to fill it while idling. Ya think that wore it out?
Have you verified it's the petcock and not just a hose connection....???

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah, before the pump quit I was watching fuel drip out. But I will certainly double check that when I get into it tomorrow. I can't think of a better way to spend my long weekend than wrenching and riding.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts