Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I just finished a 900 mile ride out to near Lubbock Texas. It was a mix of country roads, higways, and too many small towns to count. I rode out to see the grave site of a close friend 10 years after his death.

I rode alone and had a great time with lots of time to think. I saw some great scenery. This morning I was riding just before sunrise out in the middle of nowhere in the prairie with not a tree for hundreds of square miles and I was the only human for at least fifty square miles if not more. I saw the pink glow of the sunrise on the horizon and I was just riding along at about 30 mph in the dark waiting and finally I stopped and shut off the motor. Except for a gentle breeze the silence was absolute. Suddenly the sun broke over the horizon and almost instantly it was totally daylight and the grasshoppers and crickets started and the whole world came alive! If that doesn't make you believe in God I don't know what will!

On another note the bike ran perfect without a single hiccup. I was very pleased with the performance and I averaged 40 miles to the gallon. I do know that my butt is sore after sitting on an original 26 year old seat for 24 hours!

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

thats just plain awsum my dad and i did a ride like that took a highway we left the hotel at 4am and it was just pitch black, couldnt see your hand infront of your face not a headlight farmhouse or nothin we rode sun came up and it was just a cool thing

glad you had your adventure sometimes its good to get away

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
imported post

Nice.

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

Good for you Poolguy! :claps::claps:

We have done a couple of rides like that and it's a wonderful feeling. I have to go back to Pa next week and Im thinking of taking the bike because it's just a wonderful experience. There's no describing it.

A cheap fix for the seat for me was to go to WalMart and get a $12 bathmat made of Memory foam. It fold in half just perfectly to fit the seat. I have a couple of the small 10" bungee cords keeping it in place, hardly notice that they are there. Brought the comfort level to a more bearable level for such a long ride.

·
Premium Member
672 Posts
imported post

I did 908 in 12 hours. Paduka Kentucky to Rhinelander WI. That was on my 1994 1500 SE. Was on a solo ride and away from home for a week. Gas and go. Had cooler in trunk with plenty of water and grabed one on every fuel stop. No BS I did it. Long day 5:08 AM 5:21 PM

·
Premium Member
672 Posts
imported post

Yep I know it don't sound true but it is. The first leg of the trip I rode with a sport bike and I told him top end was 105 mph on my wing and thats what we traveled at.

·
Premium Member
2008 Goldwing 1800
1,095 Posts
imported post

Great ride poolguy. Check out the Iron Butt Association. Several long distance rides. 1000 miles in 24 hours or under. 1500 miles in 36 hours or under.

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
imported post

Sounds like you really got in touch with all the good things riding has to offer. God being at the top of that list! Good for you!

Dubs

·
Premium Member
426 Posts
imported post

That just sounds like FUN! You can't beat an early morning sunup experience like that

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
imported post

Be careful with the Iron Butt Assn. It can be addicting. My friend andI said we would just do the 1,000 mile in 24 hours so we could say that we did it and have proof. It was too easy. My 16 year old son did it with us on a Honda 650 dirt bike. Since then we've done the 1,500 miles in 24 hours and the Border to Border Insanity (Canada to Mexico in less than 24 hours). This past summer we were going to do the 50 CC ( Coast to Coast in under 50 hours) butI had a health issue and the summer got away from me. These were all done on freeways so I'm not bragging. What you did is an acomplishment to be proud of.We are planning to do the round Lake Superior in less than 24 hours next summer and that is just over 1,000 miles and is all on 2 lane roads. That will be a challenge with the 2 border crossings.

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

Way to go Poolguy, keep up the good work and we will see you up in AR for NASSIR-5 come July.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.