Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Change out this Ignition Relay. It is for a 1980 thru 82 Wing.It MAY Solve the Problem. (Pic is a little blurred) It is under the false gas tank, on the left front side of the Wing. It also will control the vetter faring. Sorry about tht typo. My mouse is acting up, and will not let me do anything with it.

Good Luck,

Nightrider1

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
imported post

Good info. Thanks

·
Administrator
26,180 Posts
imported post

Not a very good picture but an 1100 wing does not have an ignition relay. I think that is the suspension light control unit.:baffled:

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
imported post

yup yup....starter relay is the round doo hickie on the battery side of the bike located just to the front of the battery (follow the positive battery cable to it).... If you think it's the starter relay, turn on the key and hit the start button... You should hear a slight "click" as the relay energizes. If you hear a click but nothing happens, whack it with a hammer with the start button depressed (I'm not kidding!) =) I've gotten them to work like that before. =) If still nothing, check voltage at the relay output. No voltage with key on= dead relay/ dead battery, starter button failure or ground fault (short)... The relay can get rusty and crusty inside leading to failure. You can rebuild the relay if so inclined. The 4 cylinder Goldwings website has an article about how to rebuild the critter...Click here: http://fourcylinderwings.net/ Good luck, Squirts

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Davogd430,

The 1st pic is for the Ignition relay. When the kill switch main fuse, and ignition switch will not work, this is probably the culprit if/after ther soleonid.starter has been ruled out. My 80 has one. There 80-81 have 2 that has different numbers. It is "L" Shaped.I took my extra one to Honda, and he looked it up.Most mount in front of the ignitors in a square rubber holder that is easily broken, so be careful even just disconnecting it.

Nightrider1

·
Administrator
26,180 Posts
imported post

That is NOT an ignition relay, it is the rear air suspension light controller, 1100s DO NOT have an ignition relay.

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

William86,

No problems. I just posted these about 6 months ago, andI got no replies, I was bored, with nothing to do, so Friday I took both to Honda, and the man looked up the part numbers and told me. I was just passing along the info. Funny though. I like constructive critism, but if anyones ever wrong, you get many replies.I was just passing along what the man atHonda told me.

David

William_86 wrote:
Now im kinda confused at David's problem.

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

squirts,

I know that one. It has the master fuse in it.

Thanks,

David

squirts wrote:
yup yup....starter relay is the round doo hickie on the battery side of the bike located just to the front of the battery (follow the positive battery cable to it).... If you think it's the starter relay, turn on the key and hit the start button... You should hear a slight "click" as the relay energizes. If you hear a click but nothing happens, whack it with a hammer with the start button depressed (I'm not kidding!) =) I've gotten them to work like that before. =) If still nothing, check voltage at the relay output. No voltage with key on= dead relay/ dead battery, starter button failure or ground fault (short)... The relay can get rusty and crusty inside leading to failure. You can rebuild the relay if so inclined. The 4 cylinder Goldwings website has an article about how to rebuild the critter...Click here: http://fourcylinderwings.net/ Good luck, Squirts

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Davogd430 wrote:
That is NOT an ignition relay, it is the rear air suspension light controller, 1100s DO NOT have an ignition relay.
I'm just going with what the Honda dealer told me. he sid there were 2. 1 by the battery, and this one.

Nightrider1

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.