Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Had a friend call last Friday, and asked me to stop Saturday some time to help him out. Saturdays I go to an auction (that is what I enjoy doing for some down time) stopped over about 1:00 PM he was working on their 91 Capri he didn't want help with that.
He asked if I was interested in his motorcycle. It is a 1982 Yamaha XJ750J, I knew he had one but every time it was brought up his wife would tell her story about 3rd degree burns on her ankle.
It was under a tarp in the drive, I walk over under cover it, not to bad for the year, tires flat,etc.
Last time it was plated was 1991, story goes the carbs were done in 1990, ($400) still in 1991 it was sluggish. Dealer said they had to go through them again? So he parked it.
I asked how much, just take it home, I know you'll get it running:)?) gave me the title hopefully I can get it going.
I have ordered a book for it, but wondered if anyone here had one, and were there any issue I should know about, waiting for winter and will start with the same procedure as bringing back an older wing.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
imported post

Sorry I hit the send button to quick it is all there did jump the battery to test lights, etc. Didn't turn it over not till change the filter, and clean the fuel tank.
He told me the front tire was new and be ok? I did remind him it is 20 years old so thanks but I'll replace them both.
Comments please.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

Only advise that I can give is to hang on to friends like that!!!! He deserves a nice bottle of wine and a certificate for diner someplace nice.

Thats the type of bike I would like to find for my wife if she would ever ride, small, maneuverable and shaft drive. Nice bike.

·
Premium Member
3,785 Posts
imported post

That's a good looking Yammie. I don't recall any real issues but it's been a LOOONG time. Friend of a friend bought one new and rode it into the ground. I think it was an often over-looked classic UJM of the time. Didn't have the best history for electrics, alt/ignitors ect. But ran well when properly kept up,(like older GL1200's).

Follow the routine, fluids-filters-tires-tank. Check the carb diaphragms, and see about boiling the carbs to get them really clean.

I have to agree about hanging on to old friends like your buddy. Maybe even offer to help with the Capri... :gunhead:

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

The Maxim 750 is one of the best motorcycles Yamaha ever made, especially the engine. If properly taken care of, that engine would run forever. Of course it might be junk by now. The Yamaha shaft drive system was also one of the best available. That bike is a classic, it is a Japanese cruiser with an inline four instead of a v-twin. It is the type of bike I would buy new if they still made them.

It will definitely need the carbs cleaned, and I mean really cleaned, if it hasn't run since '91. That bike has been sitting there for 20 years. There may also be damage to the cylinders from rust and corrosion caused by moisture, I would definitely pull the plugs and pour some MMO, or something similar in there before trying to turn it over, hopefully the rings are not rust welded to the cylinder walls.

The big problem with a bike like that is the same as any other older Japanese bike. NO PARTS AVAILABILITY. I would join the Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Club (vjmc.org), they may be able to help you with it.

·
Premium Member
4,910 Posts
imported post

I bought one of them (used) for my wife in the late '80s. I gave it a new battery, a carb sync,and a valve adjustment. It has those "bucket" valve shims (DOHC). It had only sat for about a year, so there were no real bad issues.

A very gutsy bike, and fun to ride. We had it for a couple of years, and sold it for about a $250.00 profit. It had a Vetter fairing & bags on it, too. It is what she toured the Rockies with when we lived there, and me on my used'83 V65 Magna...

·
Premium Member
1,317 Posts
imported post

Never had a Maxim, but had two XS850's and an XS1100. All three were prone to grounding problems. It would run great, but if you shut it off, it wouldn't even light up the dash lights. Bump start and off you'd go. Each time it was a bad ground, but always different. Clean up the ground and you'd be good for a few weeks until another one failed. One time it would be the igniter, next time it might be a headlight circuit.

·
Premium Member
2,614 Posts
imported post

My brother has a Yamaha 650 Maxim. I'm sad to say he's one of those guys who takes no interest in taking care of ANY of his vehicles. And yet, despite this, his Maxim is a strong running machine.

Treat is decent and I believe you'll have a great sprt bike to play with.

And yes, a friend like that is one to be valued and thanked in a special way.

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
imported post

I hear passengers can get their ankles burned...

Aroom matehad one back in college and I rode it a few times. Fun bike and he never had any issues with his. Should be a great project for you. Have fun!

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
imported post

I maintain a 81 or 82 SECA 750 for a good friend. Carb.s are super easy, and I have never needed to buy anything for them. If that bike is similar you might need to get a tool that blocks off the inside connections of the 4 intakes. Not cheap, but NEEDED.

Bill

·
Premium Member
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Thanks for all the comments so far. Didn't think about the boiling of the carbs. And yes he and his wife have a favorite restaurant and we'll diffidently take them out, to it. Of course our treat.
Waiting for the book now.
When I can I'll keep thing updated.
Thanks again.
Now if I could only find a friend with an early standard :cheesygrin:

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
imported post

Fill the cylinders with oil and let them sit for a few days before you turn it over, then blow the oil out through the spark plug holes covered with rags ect.

The motor will smoke like crazy for a few minutes but it will save the rings on an old engine that has been sitting from breaking up.

Of course before any of that you will need to replace the lines, filters, and assure that the inside of the tank is spotless. Also probably rebuilding the carbs. or at least inspecting the fuel bowls to see if they are coated in the hard residue of old gas.

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
imported post

I had the same bike back when....
Had the valves adjusted, carbs synched, and kept up on regular maintenance...ran like a raped ape:cheesygrin:

Never any problems....
Sold it when kids came along...to easy to turn of the brain and turn on the gas....

Was a fun bike...wish I still had it now that I'm older and wiser?????;););)

·
Premium Member
688 Posts
imported post

I had one just like it.....

The only problems I had was that it couldn't swim.... after owning it for 3 months we had an unexpected flood and had to leave it.

After rebuilding it I rode it for about a year (year round in heavy Houston traffic) I was staying in a hotel and parked at the end spot. The sprinkler sprayed directly under the seat all night and shorted out the main fuse box.

If I am not mistaken it had the vacuum based carbs that on mine developed a leak and would drop one cylinder without warning after warming up.

The ride was pretty good but never rode it with a passenger (except the kids for a block or so).....

·
Premium Member
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

Looking into the tank, I can see a little crud in 1 area. But rest looks clean. He said he drained it before parking.
Still, a good cleaning is what I expected. Not sure what is referred to in an intake block off plate? A part number, tool number would help. And 77Pinto a little explanation would be appreciated. Or will the book have details?
Sorry I don't want to turn this to a XJ 750 forum.

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
imported post

jobe05 wrote:
Only advise that I can give is to hang on to friends like that!!!! He deserves a nice bottle of wine and a certificate for diner someplace nice.

Thats the type of bike I would like to find for my wife if she would ever ride, small, maneuverable and shaft drive. Nice bike.
I've seen a lot of ladys up here on them. They fit perfect. I love that tank was thinking of using it when I build a bobber or chop

·
Premium Member
910 Posts
imported post

I PUT 35K MILES ON MINE WITH NO PROBLEMS. I WOULD TAKE THE CARBS APART CLEAN AND REASEMBLE NO PROBLEMS... SOLD IT FOR A PROFIT WITH A SPARE BIKE FOR A KICKER...

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

All of Yamaha's motors were bulletproof back them. They were seriously overbuilt. I had a beautiful '81 XS1100 Special, that was unfortunately destroyed in an accident over 20 years ago. If that hadn't happened I would probably still be riding it. That Maxim 750 would blow the wheels off a V-Star 1100, and last 3 times as long.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.