Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

now that I have quieter pipes on my 1979, I can hear some not so nice engine sounds. I hate to say it sounds like rapping.... but I think it does. :(

My motor has 34,000 miles on the odo and otherwise pulls nicely and does not have any other "issues" (besides a damned oil weeping leak that will not right itself - more later).

My question: How loud would the valve clatter be, if the valves needed adjusting? And what manual is good for the DIYer to accomplish this?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,381 Posts
imported post

It's easy to adjust the valves... .004" intake and exhaust. All you need is a feeler gauge, a screwdriver,10mm wrench, and a way to manually turn the engine.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
700 Posts
imported post

On this same topic, I have an 83 1100. I get some light tapping (pretty light, but audible nonetheless). It was much worse before I adjusted the valves a second time. Is some noise from the valves normal? I am just not sure that I'm adjusting them properly, and it makes me....nervous.

Jack
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,938 Posts
imported post

A bike that old will make alot ofnoises !

I quit worrying about it!

Adjust the valves and sync the carbs and runsome "Sea Foam" through them !
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
700 Posts
imported post

wingdawg101 wrote:
A bike that old will make alot ofnoises !

I quit worrying about it!

Adjust the valves and sync the carbs and runsome "Sea Foam" through them !

Thanks...maybe I should quit worrying. Actually, I just put my first dose of Seafoam into it. I'll change the oil again soon, and that should help too.

Thanks!

Jack
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
137 Posts
imported post

Hi All been awile since Ive been here anyway the "rapping" noise you you hear could very well be your primary chain pending on when you hear it. most timesyou will her the primary chain when sitting still at idle but have heard them when rollin down the road. if it is primary chain just run it (new one will run aruond 200.00 on line) never heard of one breaking. Replacement will require engine tear down.:waving:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

cruzin80930 wrote:
Hi All been awile since Ive been here anyway the "rapping" noise you you hear could very well be your primary chain pending on when you hear it. most times you will her the primary chain when sitting still at idle but have heard them when rollin down the road. if it is primary chain just run it (new one will run aruond 200.00 on line) never heard of one breaking. Replacement will require engine tear down.:waving:
Thanks, Cruzin. I definitely hear it from the right side when I am on the bike. It seems to have no (or little) effect on the performance, because the bike is running nicely. I don't hear it so much off-idle because someone apparently removed the baffles from the original exhaust - but I like the low frequency rumble:action:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
230 Posts
imported post

sanfelice,

You said rapping, but questionedlifter noise? If it's thelifter clatter that you're refering to, you will always have some. I've never riden a motorcycle that I couldn't hear the valves. It should be a faint sound that after a period of time you find easy to forget/get used to. If it's loud, you should check them.

A good shop manual will walk you through ajusting your valves (I use the Clymer manual).
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
137 Posts
imported post

the primary chain when "rapping" will almost sound like a ROD KNOCK at an idle and not be heard when ridding because the chain now has tension on it.I think randakks.com has some info on this being anoying more than a major problem. Just my 2 cents T$:gunhead:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
510 Posts
imported post

isn't the primary chain a hyvo? If so, these things don't break unless you do something really REALLY stupid (Like repeated hole-shots). In my kaw's engine, both the timing chain, and primary are hyvo's, and these engines routinely got 200k miles before even being torn into. (A LOT of cop-bikes in the states are KZ engine) They do, however, tend to stretch out as much as a full link over their length. there is a tensioner on the cam chain, but the primary doesn't have that luxury. Basically what I'm saying is that if it is indeed your primary chain, don't worry about it. Just turn the radio up a bit more, or pull the baffles out of your pipes.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

cruzin80930 wrote:
the primary chain when "rapping" will almost sound like a ROD KNOCK at an idle and not be heard when ridding because the chain now has tension on it.I think randakks.com has some info on this being anoying more than a major problem. Just my 2 cents T$:gunhead:
That is exactly what it sounds like. I'm hoping for it NOT to be a rod knocking... :gunhead:

Thanks for that. I will have to search Randakk's site for that info.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
137 Posts
imported post

with thelow miles you have on your bike and the fact you say its running great I would bet its primary chain. Thas what it was and is on my 76 GL1000( have the engine torn down repacing rrings and complete ground up restore) but I thought the same thing "might be a rod" ,not if its running that good. I agree with phicsand the primary chain is HYVO as is the starter chain and will most likly out last the engine they are in but they do stretech. AS stated turn radio up, louder pipes or ignore it chances are you wont hear or even notice it when under load, just more anoying when sittin at a light. T$:DPS Your welcome.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,938 Posts
imported post

I know I'm not suppose to ask this but just wondering , what kind of "OIL" are you running ?

Sorry guys, had too !
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

wingdawg101 wrote:
I know I'm not suppose to ask this but just wondering , what kind of "OIL" are you running ?

Sorry guys, had too !
I took people's suggestions here (and from other moto forums) and put in diesel-type 15w-40.

I think the reason I am now hearing the sound is that I removed the "Daytona shorties" pipes that were on the bike (it was LOUD) and put back on the stock pipes that came with the bike but were not installed. It seems, however, that the baffles may have been somewhat removed because it is still rumbly.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
137 Posts
imported post

hi again, the info on primary chain noise at randakk.com is listed under Tech Tips, then under Diesel clatter.As long as the noise diappears under load your good to go, if it worsens under load then there ismost likly another problem. T$:)
 

·
Postpubescent member
Joined
·
36,382 Posts
imported post

sanfelice wrote:
That is exactly what it sounds like. I'm hoping for it NOT to be a rod knocking... :gunhead:
If it's rod knocking you'd hear it most when you 'float' the throttle between accelerating and decelerating. Also I'd expect low oil pressure if a rod is going bad, you could check that by hooking up an oil gauge and seeing what the low rpm psi is. Quite often that will cause a pressure drop since the oil in the crank will blow out in the loose bearing. I'm betting it's nothing more than chain noise, my '86 was a bit noisy in that area, it was more of a rattle than a knock.

:waving::15red::waving:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,381 Posts
imported post

Turn the radio up... if you don't have a radio, wear earplugs.
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top