So How did you do it.
Take pictures as you do the other side.
Skip20

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
imported post

no shortcuts if ya want it to look the way it's supposed to i.e. wetsand your thumbs raw and then wetsand some more. then beltslap it with the wheel.

·
Premium Member
4,472 Posts
imported post

Very impressive.:clapper: Mine look like the one on the left...I kinda thought they were supposed to look like that.:shock::DWet sanding, huh. I have never done that. You might have to post a step by step for some of us slower types. What type of sandpaper, ect. Thanks in advance!:waving:

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
imported post

wet sanding is done with that fine black metal paper and water. i started with 400 but if they are as pitted as mine were i'd go lower and work up to 600 grit. the bench buffing wheel took it from there. if no wheel then work your way up to 1200 or even 1500 but don't bother trying to take the pitting off with anything higher than 400 because it'll take forever. don't use anything aggressive like those finishing disks on a mini grinder because it'll just end up bumpy.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
imported post

i used 2000 on my 86 fork tubes and they came out really nice the finer the paper the less buffing you have to. take your time wet sanding and you'll only have to buff it a little. the wet sanding with the black body work paper cuts faster and lets the paper last longer and makes it micro smooth. pics not as good as his but they shine like chrome.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,472 Posts
imported post

Thanks guys!:bowing:

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts
imported post

A tip on wet sanding. If your sandpaper gets solids on it, you need more water. That seems to be the key.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
imported post

this works on anything that is on your bike in smooth aluminum. valve covers foot rest and so on.

·
Premium Member
12,868 Posts
imported post

escogold wrote:
1200 timing cover:cool:
Theres a man lots of time on his hands . Great work your doing though . It looks super when your finished.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.