Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

You're very comfortable with your Wing. We rode across the new bridge near Rockport, IN. It crosses the Ohio River, into Kentucky. I had the cruise set at indicated 100 mph, & took these pictures myself. Carol didn't seem to mind, but she wasn't saying nothing either. And she certainly wasn't moving around in her seat. ;)

·
Premium Member
4,931 Posts
imported post

Surely you jest about the speed.

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
imported post

2 different approaches to the bridge IMHO, notice the wires in the first pic, rider onright side of road, next pic rider onleft side no wires. I noticed your tach was reading 4000rpm in the first pic also, kind of winding the ol girl out eh? My 83 tachs 3800 at 70 mph. You're a wild crazy guy. BTW, no traffic must be nice especially when you're using both sides going up over the hill at 100-127+mph plus!!

Normally I wouldn't comment on this but if it is real, borders terribly on the reckless side.

Sorry but no cookie or mana from me

Hobie

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
imported post

Although I've never ridden a GL1800, those who have told me its pretty stable over 100 MPH. In fact just yesterday an 1800 rider (Bob, who we met during the Diamond Lake trip) told me that he did the exact same thing... took a picture of his speedo atabout 110 MPH.

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts
imported post

I pondered doing something similar just today. I had a beautiful road in front of me, and the view on either side was wonderful. I was doing only 60 or so, so I thought what the heck? I reached into my vest pocket, where the camera was, I noticed immediately that the battery slot popped open. I took that as a sign, and just closed it. Left it there.

The pic below is the last one I took on the jamboree weekend... Its Tokatee Falls, not far from Diamond Lake.

·
Premium Member
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Hobie1 wrote:
2 different approaches to the bridge IMHO, notice the wires in the first pic, rider onright side of road, next pic rider onleft side no wires. I noticed your tach was reading 4000rpm in the first pic also, kind of winding the ol girl out eh? My 83 tachs 3800 at 70 mph. You're a wild crazy guy. BTW, no traffic must be nice especially when you're using both sides going up over the hill at 100-127+mph plus!!

Normally I wouldn't comment on this but if it is real, borders terribly on the reckless side.

Sorry but no cookie or mana from me

Hobie
The bridge has four lanes, so I wasn't in any danger of a head on. There was no traffic behind, or in front of us. As far as the tach goes, it had quite a bit left, before "winding the ol girl out". It probably isn't the smartest thing I've done, but as steady as the GL1800 is, it's really not a big deal to let go of the handlebars at any speed. Thanks for your HO. Below, is information about the bridge.

A 4,510' cable-stayed, twin tower, bridge. The bridge spans the Ohio River and Indiana 66 near Rockport, Indiana, and Owensboro, Kentucky (US 231). The bridgehas two main towers, each 345 feet above the surface of the river. Itis 4,510 feet long with four 12-foot-wide traffic lanes.

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

Yea but at your age you don't bounce very good at 100 mph!!!!!!!!!!:baffled:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

You don't want to be caught in Washington or California at that speed, here's it's automatically reckless driving and VERY expensive. My brother claims it's a felony in CA.

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
imported post

I'm sure he's smart enough to not do it in an unsafe manner, and to not get caught by those who want to tell him how to runhis life.

As long as he's not endangering someone else aside from himself or his willing wife, more power to him.

In Europe (mostly Germany)100 MPH is notespecially fast on the freeways and most people are used to the speed. It's funny how people here in the states thinkit's sofast... even give it nicknames like, "The Ton." Give me a break!

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
imported post

In Minnesota a law was just passed that at 100 MPH any moving violation is an automatic 3 month revocation.

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
imported post

:?

I meant no disrespect and I wasn't smart enough to reason that you were on a 4 lane.

As far as the Autobahn's speed limits, those people are used to being passed by the higher speed drivers. It's my understanding that they don't have many accidents but when they do, it's a bad one.

Over here, you're lucky if you don't get pulled out in front of, be it at an intersection or into your lane of traffic on a four lane. It's not you Verdayne that I'd be worried about. It's the numbskulls that don't look in their rear view mirror or at you.

Be careful.

Hobie

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
imported post

My Goldwing is by far the most stable bike I've ever ridden. I guess I also like to push the limits from time to time. In the Adirondack Mountains of NY, we have Route 10 which runs from Johnstown to Piseco Lake. One 25 mile section of this road is all 25 to 40 mph tight turns. I decided to push the Goldwing the other day by following a couple friends, one on a Ducati the other on an Aprilla. I normally shoot for doubling the posted corner speed but following my friends I found the Goldwing will handle these corners a little quicker than that. I have to admit that it's quite a rush. On the few straight sections, they would pull away from me but, to their surprise, I kept pretty close to them over the route.

Also, speaking of "DON'T TRY THIS, UNLESS . . ." Lately, I find that when I'm not in a hurry I cruise around with the cruise control set and my hands gripping the passenger side handles. It's a nice stretch for your shoulders and chest. If I want to go to the right I press down on the left foot peg and the left passenger handle -- the opposite for a left turn. Give it a try. It's quite relaxing.

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
imported post

:clapper:Better than layin around rustin right ? Sometimes ya just gotta say what the hell !!

·
Premium Member
1,334 Posts
imported post

wingdawg101 wrote:
Yea but at your age you don't bounce very good at 100 mph!!!!!!!!!!:baffled:

Nothing bounces very good @ 100mph!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:headbanger:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.