Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,099 Posts
imported post

zibodiz wrote:
About 5 miles outside of town, on a paved but quiet country road, I started to smell a little smoke (it was pretty faint), but thought nothing of it, since a lot of farmers are burning off their fields.
I know what that's like. Around here, they burn everything...trash, tires, cleared fields, etc. If I stopped every time I smelled something burning, I would never go anywhere!

As far as riding again, I would say get back in the saddle of something as soon as you are both able. Once you get healed up, try to rent a bike if you haven't decided whether or not to buy one again.

Don't give in to fear!

The only truly "safe" thing that I can think of is a metal box under 6' of dirt. Life is dangerous, and no one gets out alive!

·
Old School Guru
7,876 Posts
imported post

Ipretty much have to agree with most of the prevoius posts. I had a pretty bad accident a couple of years ago, broke every rib on my left side, broke my collar bone and my shoulder blade, and fractured my left arm in 2 places. Did almost 2 k worth of damage to the bike. But I survived, and I was able to repair the bike as good as new. I got myself back on that bike, and try to not let it happen again. I've ridden for over 40 years, most of my incidents had been very minor until this one. You can get hurt just as much in a cage, or walking across the street and being struck. If you stop doing something because you got hurt, and you are afraid, what are you going to do when it happens in the cage, quit driving? Learn from the experience and continue on. I'm thankful that you and your wife were not injured worse, bikes can be repaired or replaced, people can't.:smiler:

Gene:action:

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
imported post

Hi everyone,
First off, thanks for all the support, I really appreciate it.
The smoke smell seemed a bit like rubber, but it was faint enough that I didn't really think it was the bike. I smelled it for a moment, then it was gone. I assumed it was a farmer burning his field/trash. The tire pressure was good; I had just topped it off a couple of days before, and it wasn't very low then. The rear shocks had plenty of air in them, and the tire wasn't rubbing. I knew the tire was getting old, and was planning to replace it in a month or so, but had no idea it was ready to pop -- I don't know off hand what brand/model it is, but it wasn't completely bald by any means, and of course there weren't any belts showing or anything like that. It looked like it was designed to have some tread on the sides, but not down the middle. I'm guessing that such was not the case. I didn't notice any cracking, although I'm guessing the tire was old -- the bike was unused for a few years when I bought it.
This is 'my' first bike, but I learned to ride on my Dad's CX500 years ago. I also grew up riding 4-wheelers & (occasionally) dirtbikes in our fields. It is a little larger than I should have gotten, but when I acquired it, I wasn't really even looking to get a bike -- I had a VW Baja Beetle project I was trying to sell, and a guy offered to trade. I fell in love with the bike, and the rest is history. I'm very comfortable with a big bike, and have put about 4K miles on this one in the last year & a half, incident free. I'm a generally cautious rider (I save my speeding for 4 wheels), and have specifically tried to pay attention to the needs of the bike. My dad's first vehicle was an Enduro, and along with my grandfather, was always a big motorcyclist, so I've heard lots of sermons about maintenance, and tried to stay on top of it. Apparently, the rear tire was just worse off than I imagined. I didn't hit anything, I'm sure of that.
I'll try to post pictures tomorrow. Right now, it's on its side on a flatbed trailer, where my dad & a couple Deputies dragged it to get it home, while I was in the hospital with my wife. I haven't touched it since they parked it in my yard.

·
Administrator
57,678 Posts
imported post

IMO your first mistake was not putting new shoes on that bike right away.

I'm a nervous sort when it comes to tires. When the get down close to that wear bar that says they are kaput! I put on new ones.

Sort of like a gasoline tank. The top half rides a lot cheaper than the bottom half, and has a lot less worries with it.

·
Premium Member
8,242 Posts
imported post

Sorry to hear of your accident, glad you will both be o.k.

You will know if you are going to want to ride again.

For many of us here, not riding is out of the question, it is part of us.

This is a personal decision that only you can make, as with your wife also.

Sounds like you should be able to fix up your Motorycle.

Do you know what happened? a front tire blowout?

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
imported post

Here are some pictures. Upon a closer inspection, it looks like it will be an easy conversion to a 'naked goldwing'; I'll just need to get a headlight that will mount onto the bars, replace the bent handlebars, and repair or replace the rear saddlebags (or, I suppose, get a new taillight with turn signals). Most of the damage were to unneeded chrome and the fairing & trunk. The trunk rack is also bent, but I'll just take it off. I got it upright, started it up, and ran it just fine for a few minutes. Everything mechanical appeared to be in good working order.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,614 Posts
imported post

OK, my 2 cents. A mix of what has been said.

Both of you need to go for a ride. NOW!!

Not a long one, not a fast one and not a fancy one. Just one ride to get rid of the fear, to keep it from having an undue effect on your decision. Maybe a slow comfortable ride on quiet country roads. Then get off and walk away.

Then the two of you relax, give it time, thought and discussion. Then the two of you can come to that decision, no one else can make it for you. Some people, like CJ and Red, find there comfort as it comes to them and continue riding, some feel the need to walk away. Neither choice is the wrong one, as long as it's the one you make for yourselves.

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
imported post

You're right, it's a golden opportunity to craft a "naked" Wing. I've always wanted one, and maybe someday I can find a salvaged title or a Wing with crunched plastic like yours to work with. Get it cleaned up, hang on a couple of Leather saddlebags, a big windscreen, and you have yourself a poor man's Valkyrie! A Wing is a Wing is a Wing, with plastic or without!

21 - 29 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.