Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi guys My1200needs clutch fluid and it calls for Dot 4 but all i can find in the Dot 4 is Synthetic is that ok to use .

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
imported post

Yes, that is fine to use...

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
imported post

You can use it, but bleed all the old stuff out. It won't mix.

·
Premium Member
14,148 Posts
imported post

Oldboy wrote:
You can use it, but bleed all the old stuff out. It won't mix.
Incorrect. Dot 4 and Dot 4 synthetic mix just fine.

I use Dot 4 synthetic all the time.

·
Probationary
4,535 Posts
imported post

Yup, I use DOT 4 Syn .....no problems.

·
Premium Member
5,382 Posts
imported post

Is the synthetic any less nasty if you get it on your plastics? Speaking from an experience with the regular DOT 4.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

nobbie wrote:
Is the synthetic any less nasty if you get it on your plastics? Speaking from an experience with the regular DOT 4.
No, the synthetic likes to eat up plastic and painted surfaces also. Every time I have occasion to deal with brake fluid I wrap a large towel around the master cylinders, and pack rags around a banjo bolt, and have one in my hand. If you wipe it instantly if you do spill some so far I have not seen it harm anything, but if left just for a few seconds, it will do harm.

DOT5 synthetic which is silicone based is safe, but also opens up a whole new can of worms and is not a good deal for a used bike with fluid already in it, and if like one of the new sport bikes comes from the factory with it, one has to make sure you tell the service shop, or they might put regular fluid in there and cause problems.

Kit

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.