Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hey all,

My clutch slave cylinder is going and I bought some Dot 5 fluid to replace the old stuff. I like the idea of not having paint ruined from a potential leak. The whole bottom of my 1200 has paint coming off because of the leak. I am now thinking there could be possible problems with using Dot 5 (corrosion resistance, etc.) Has anyone tried the Dot 5 in their goldwing?

Thanks
Davebave

·
Older and Wiser
1,734 Posts
imported post

Dot 5 is okay to use in the clutch system. Don't bother using it in the brake system though as it's not really needed in a Goldwing. More suitable for high stress systems that fade.

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
imported post

link shot dead !

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
imported post

Perfecto ! :clapper::clapper::clapper:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Sounds like potential confusion having two different hydraulic fluids in one bike. They probably are cross compatible but just seems complicated for no gain.

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

I actually was planning on switching completely (brakes and clutch), but think I may have changed my mind. Although, the Dot 5.1 sounds pretty nice.

D

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

Davebave wrote:
Hey all,

My clutch slave cylinder is going and I bought some Dot 5 fluid to replace the old stuff. I like the idea of not having paint ruined from a potential leak. The whole bottom of my 1200 has paint coming off because of the leak. I am now thinking there could be possible problems with using Dot 5 (corrosion resistance, etc.) Has anyone tried the Dot 5 in their goldwing?

Thanks
Davebave
Davebrave, I can't specifically tell you about how your Wing will handle Dot 5 fluid but I run a high performance Brembo brake system on a different type of vehicle & was having some brake loss & fading due to boiling fluid after a few 140+ mph stops so called Brembo & talked directly with one of their brake engineers. Iwas told point blank not to use a Dot 5 fluid in a Dot 4 designed system.. He said that even with a good flush of the system there is a good possibility of an incompatibility issue but even if that wasn't an issue the inner rubber components could be a future problem due to not being designed & tested for Dot 5 usage.. He wouldn't outright say that Dot 5.1 would work buthinted it had a better chance of not causing any future problems.

Twisty

·
Premium Member
2,148 Posts
imported post

twisty wrote:
Davebave wrote:
Hey all,

Thanks
Davebave
Davebrave, I can't specifically tell you about how your Wing will handle Dot 5 fluid but I run a high performance Brembo brake system on a different type of vehicle & was having some brake loss & fading due to boiling fluid after a few 140+ mph stops so called Brembo & talked directly with one of their brake engineers. Iwas told point blank not to use a Dot 5 fluid in a Dot 4 designed system.. He said that even with a good flush of the system there is a good possibility of an incompatibility issue but even if that wasn't an issue the inner rubber components could be a future problem due to not being designed & tested for Dot 5 usage.. He wouldn't outright say that Dot 5.1 would work buthinted it had a better chance of not causing any future problems.

Twisty
Hey Twisty:waving:You have my curiosity up, what type vehicle are you driving 140+mph?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.