Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
imported post

I would say that CJ might be a good subject of interest, after reading the article.

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
imported post

The Brits have taken this subject on and have devised a SHARP rating system

SHARP Helmet Testing - a quick read, go to the Ratings section and see how your helmet did, they have rated over 150 helmets in the last 12 months or so

Just another take on an important subject...

Cliff Notes...more money does not necessarily improve the outcome to your noggin in a crash

The Snell 2010 standards are available next month...a good read at Webbikeworld
Snell 2010 Standard

Food for thought

Bill

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
61,647 Posts
imported post

Interesting article.

I just may not buy another flip open helmet, even though I really, really do like them.

·
Premium Member
495 Posts
imported post

I was on the way tomorrow to buy a flip up helmet. Now I have changed my mind. Thanks for the good karma you just sent my way. I will now purchase a full face helmet.

:action:

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
imported post

And here's some research that says exactly the opposite: that Snell is a marketing gimmick, and that theDOT helmets actually protect you more, because they are softer and transmit fewer g's than the Snell variants...... I tend to believe the stuff below, and I wear DOT helmets. I used to wear flip-flop DOTS, like the one that saved my life, but now I wear only full-face helmets.......

Here's the other article: make up your own mind!

:)

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/gearbox/motorcycle_helmet_review/index.html

·
Premium Member
6,193 Posts
imported post

LMAO, I been sitting here, just waiting for Mel's response to that :cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

I agree with Mel and the D.O.T.

But then again, I wear one of those half shell helmet's that are so popular with (some riders) :D

I personally like the way it fits, and the fact that I can hear what's going on around me. I almost got taken out by an Ambulance one time because I couldn't hear it coming through traffic.

As a matter of fact, Eggland came out with similar propaganda a few years back, siteing medical evidence that REAL egg's caused high cloistral :DOh they were eventually forced to retract it, but how many people stopped eating eggs and started buying (phony) ones???

Just something to think about, kinda like kevlar vs leather :D

·
Premium Member
1,356 Posts
imported post

This is off the Snell web site and and I'm surprised that they haven't tested any of the flip up helmets.
http://www.smf.org/
Why won't Snell certify some types of helmets like flip up front designs? Snell does not dismiss out of hand any helmet design that strays from the conventional. Snell does not point out any design specifications other than general requirements in our standards. We are however, always concerned with innovations and new designs that may effect the helmet's ability to protect the wearer, or in some cases the helmets potential to cause injury. At present the Foundation has not had the opportunity to test any of the flip up front type helmets for certification. We do not find any fault with these designs as long as they are used according to the manufacturers instructions and meet all of the requirements of the standard. We will also certify any size of helmet as long as it meets the same requirements as any other Snell certified helmet.

·
Premium Member
658 Posts
imported post

The easy answer is to stop wearing helmets. (that should start up a whole new conversation)

·
Just one of the guys
4,833 Posts
imported post

I do not have time to read through all of that at the moment, but I did see an article once that stated the SNELL rating was unnecessary. The impact required to compromise a DOT helmet is slightly less than that for a SNELL helmet. However, if the impact is enough to compromise the DOT helmet the rest of your body would almost certainly be damaged bad enough you would die anyway, no matter what you have on your head.

·
Premium Member
6,193 Posts
imported post

That would a fact Doug, protection on a m/c is limited at best, but it's better than nothing. As far as what helmet you wear, I think it's more what you like than anything, like you said, the difference in one helmet or another isnt enough to save a life, if you hit somthing hard enough to compromise ANY helmet, it's pretty much over

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
imported post

bbach wrote:
The easy answer is to stop wearing helmets. (that should start up a whole new conversation)
Knock yourself out..... literally.........

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,082 Posts
imported post

There is a lot of debate over the Snell standards and that they may lead to injury. Many feel the European test standards are far better than Snell or DOT. They do need to update their article as Snell does approveat least one lift front helmet now. Please notice in CJ's picture it is a modular helmet.

·
Premium Member
74 Posts
imported post

For the record the Zeus ZS 3000 Modular helmet is the first Flip up helmet to be Snell certified. The snell rating applies to the 3000 series and for sizes Sm & Med only.

I used to wear a half helmet but purchased a new full face helmet this August. After taking a hit in the face from a rather large stone at highway speed I figured it was time. So went out and purchased a full face carbon helmet ( Joe Rocket RKT 101 ). It took me about two days before I got used to that closed in feeling. But I'll never ride without a full face helmet !!!

Can't really say which rating is better ... DOT, Snell, ECE, each have tests that back them up...they all have their own agenda... sell their own line of helmets.

All I know now is that wearing a helmet is better than not wearing one at all.

·
Premium Member
2,137 Posts
imported post

Hey there's no rating for my spiked top Nazi helmet!

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
imported post

I will continue to wear my flip up HJC helmet. I fell safe and comfortable with it and it is easy to get on.

Bernie

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

I used to exclusively use full faced helmets... but I find in July and August in Oklahoma my head ends up being like a baked apple... so in the warmer months I don't go for full coverage

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
imported post

I wear a full face, up to temps of 85F, then I change to my half helmet.

I feel it's an even trade off, reduced face protection versus the distraction of my head being in an oven.

As far as snell vs DOT. Snell is designed for racers, DOT is for the street.

The new Snell 2010 rating is going to be different and may very well be fine for the street.

·
Premium Member
4,403 Posts
imported post

To me, it goes back to my racing days when I raced stock cars on the dirt tracks. Here was the logic explained to me back then:

Racing helmets (Snell) were "impact" helmets for use in situations where you expected impacts, like racing. These helmets were designed to stay intact and not be destroyed on the first impact, therefore were to be worn with neck braces. DOT helmets were "scrape" helmets designed to keep your head from being scraped down the highway and also designed to disintegrate upon substantial impact to dissipate the energy. Because the racing or Snell helmets were built so tough, not wearing a neck brace leads to a greater chance of breaking your neck, thus making it a moot point whether or not you crushed your skull.

I am not presenting the above statements as "gospel scientific facts", just mearly repeating what I was told by racing safety officials (many)years ago. Take from it what you will.;)

·
PAUL MEYERS
9 Posts
imported post

Guys - I am a new owner of a 2008 GL Wing - and loving it.
I want to move towards a 3/4 face helmet with Visor and QUALITY audio. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what helmet I should buy. I usually use a half helmet but am getting tired of hearing all the wind noise.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Paul Meyers
http://www.ontario-motorcycle-rides.com

Attachments

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.