Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi all. I just returned from a 4000+ mile round trip to Texas and back. It was my first really long trip on my Goldwing. I am tired and exilarated.I needed to be there quickly so I ran 12 hour days, just stopping for gas and grub. Bike ran perfect, weather was good, but...I need to fix the draft on the boss that rides on the back. The air seems to be coming from below the rear view mirrors. I found some "hand wings" onChromeworld's website and that seems to be what I need. Anyone had any experience with them? It's not alot of air hitting her, but I would like to eliminate as much of it as possible.

(next time I'm in a rush I'm going to fly). :goofygrin:

Thanks in advance.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I don't know if you have wind wings on your bike but they help. The woman who hangs around here appreciates the Baker wind wings, they have two separate wings on each side so you get a lot of adjustment combinations.

I can agree with the not wanting to have to rush, 500 miles is my usual limit, I've done 700 miles in one day and decided that was too far.

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Yeah I have the side wings. The air is coming under the rear view mirrors and catches her on her arms. The hand wings attach to the rear view mirrors and I think they would stop that air somewhat.

·
Premium Member
1,871 Posts
imported post

What's her name won't let me take the airwings off the 96. Actually they do work great for rider and passenger

Kyle

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Kyle, are you talking about the wings that mount below the mirror? The regular side wings work fine, but there's still that draft under the mirrors and I'm hoping the hand wings will solve the problem.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
imported post

best to make it as windy as possible, then they will stay home, makes for a quieter ride :):cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

:jumper:I agree, but that's not always an option. To make it worse I got new headsets before our trip and the intercoms are crystal clear...bla bla bla. Over 4000 miles of it. I finally stopped and got her a good paperback book to read. Yep, she started reading to me like a book on a tape or something. But I would miss her if she wasn't back there telling me how to ride.

·
Premium Member
1,871 Posts
imported post

fatalattraction wrote:
Kyle, are you talking about the wings that mount below the mirror? The regular side wings work fine, but there's still that draft under the mirrors and I'm hoping the hand wings will solve the problem.

Thanks
I was talking about the side wings

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
imported post

fatalattraction wrote:
...I ran 12 hour days, just stopping for gas and grub. Bike ran perfect, :goofygrin:

Talk about Iron Butt.

You still have the stock seat don't you ?

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Not a stock seat, it's a custom Corbin, but still hard on the ol' arse.

·
Premium Member
335 Posts
imported post

We have Baker Built Air Wings on Her Purpleness. They work great controlling the breeze coming from under the mirrors. Good air control with the Air Wingswith uppers. If you really want to get picky, somewhere I saw plugs that block off the holes in the rubber piece between the mirrors and the fairing. Mind you, I just run the controls. The "Captian" instructs me what wings to open, close, and how much.A happy rider makes for a happy ride. ;) Here's a link to the wings if anyone is interested -

http://www.bakerbuilt.com/gl1500%20gold%20wing.htm

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Thanks Ozarkrider. That's just what I ordered today. Gotta keep her happy.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I think you'll like them, I wanted to take them off my bike when I got it, they ARE ugly, but the work so well I kept them. Mine are colored red to match the bike but eventually I'll probably replace them with clear so they aren't so obtrusive.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.