Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I'm heading to the track with a few of my buddies on friday night. They ride Electra Glides, mostly stock. I'm gonna run my '83 Aspencade down the track a few times, and would like nothing more than to smoke some Harleys with my 'antique Honda'.

So has anyone had their 1100 down the 1/4 mile? What kind of Elapsed Time are these bikes capable of? Should be interesting.

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
61,640 Posts
imported post

I would think 12-15 seconds, but never tried it.

·
Premium Member
211 Posts
imported post

The nakeds were supposed to be capable of low 13s. The original 1975 was one of, if not the, first factory 12 second rides. The Aspencade, a bit slower I would think, with the extra weight and barn door you'll be pushing.

·
Premium Member
6,947 Posts
imported post

My experience in riding with Harley riders all the time is this.

1/4 mile I don't think you'll have what it takes to take a Harley...they're geared and power banded different on the bottom end, and you'll be top end 3rd/bottom end 4th gear before you catch up, and in the 1/4 you won't have enough road to stretch her out and crawl ahead.

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
imported post

I had a drag race against my friend and his new Road King. After second gear, he was a spot in my rear view. Yes, I was as shocked as he was. The Harley feels so torquey.

John

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
imported post

ldwingnut drag races his 1100 regularly. He makes single carb conversions and tests them regularly on the track.

Bernie

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
imported post

I figure my bike should be good for a mid 14 second pass with me on it. I weigh about 370lbs (but I am 6'10" tall, so I'm not as fat as you would think LOL). When you plug the numbers into the drag racing calculators, 1100lbs and 62hp, that's what it comes up with too.

I think the Harleys have a definite advantage off the line, but I think it's going to be fairly close. It really doesn't matter to me that much, it's just for fun. Besides, win or lose I still get the last laugh.

If I lose, "Wow, your brand new $30,000 bike, with a bigger engine beat my $1500 antique Honda, barely".

Or if I win, "HAHA, the fat guy on his 27 year old 'Rice Burner' just stomped your A$$!"

I guess we will see what happens tomorrow night. As long as the weather holds out.

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
imported post

Hey Zeph,

I don't know how you ride, but as you probably know, you should wind the old girl to about 7500 to get the best from 'er. Let us know how it goes.

John

·
Premium Member
631 Posts
imported post

Dadoo wrote:
...you should wind the old girl to about 7500 to get the best from 'er...
:cooldevil::cooldevil::cooldevil: Oh yeaaaaaaah!! :cooldevil::cooldevil::cooldevil:

·
Premium Member
506 Posts
imported post

MDKramer is right.

If you really want to dust them, get a 1800, friend of mine has a '06 1800 Goldwing that a run like it's getting away from a rabid pit-bull with aids!

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
imported post

From what I understand, if you want to race with an antique, get a fuel injected 1200.

John

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
imported post

Well we went to the track last night and made some passes. My first pass I ran a 16.086 @ 84.66 MPH. The second pass I did a little better with a 15.918 @ 85.21 MPH. My 60' times were pretty bad at 2.63 seconds, but that is because I was trying to launch without destroying anything. I only made 2 passes because on both runs the clutch slipped heavily through second gear and I really don't want to damage a beautiful bike just for the hell of it. I would have liked to get somebody much lighter than me to take it down the track, but neither of my buddies felt comfortable doing that.

As for my friends on the Harleys they did fairly well. The first 2 passes they did when we first got there were both in the 15s. But after letting them cool down for a while in the evening air they picked up a bit. One of my friends has an '09 Ultra Classic Electra Glide with Screaming Eagle mufflers and a Stage 1 upgrade. He ran a 14.7 @ 88 MPH I believe. And my other buddy with his stock '09 Road Glide ran a 14.40 @91 MPH. He is a pretty aggressive drag racer and he said his clutch was way out of adjustment on the way home from the track.

Overall, I'm not too dissappointed with my results. The Harleys had some advantages over me. The gearing is much shorter in the first few gears. I was just getting to the end of 3rd gear at the end of the track. Both my friends are at least 120lbs lighter than me. Plus their bikes have 400cc's more displacement.

The most important thing is that is was fun and I came home with my bike in one piece. Actually my bike ran better than it ever has on the way home last night.

·
Premium Member
1,969 Posts
imported post

zephyr2nv wrote:
I only made 2 passes because on both runs the clutch slipped heavily through second gear and I really don't want to damage a beautiful bike just for the hell of it.

The clutch shouldn't be slipping, at all. Replace it!

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
imported post

Elapsed time. You mean minutes per 1/4 mile? Mine doesn't have the nuts to get out of it's own way.

I'm just spoiled by my VFR that I had. Wasn't all THAT fast, but light years ahead of this pig.

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
imported post

Lil Pete wrote:
zephyr2nv wrote:
I only made 2 passes because on both runs the clutch slipped heavily through second gear and I really don't want to damage a beautiful bike just for the hell of it.

Well the clutch works perfectly during normal operation, so I'm in no hurry to replace something that works fine 99.9999999999999999999999999% of the time. It may have something to do with the oil I'm using (Rotella T 5W40) and my weight, 370lbs.

·
Premium Member
683 Posts
imported post

zephyr2nv wrote:
Lil Pete wrote:
zephyr2nv wrote:

Well the clutch works perfectly during normal operation, so I'm in no hurry to replace something that works fine 99.9999999999999999999999999% of the time. It may have something to do with the oil I'm using (Rotella T 5W40) and my weight, 370lbs.
Wish I'd been up there, I'm 185 and I'm betting the clutch would have held just fine. I think your oil should be fine, but I ran some sea foam in my 1200s oil last year for about 1000 miles and it seemed to help it's clutch a little bit.

Jeff

·
Premium Member
1,969 Posts
imported post

zephyr2nv wrote:
Lil Pete wrote:
zephyr2nv wrote:

I don't think that it is the weight.We run ours loaded heavier than that pulling 500lb+ in the trailer and no slipping even running ALL out with them. Can't say on the oil .... since '80 (600 miles after purchase), ours have only used 20w50.

It is likely that your springs are out of spec.

However, it is your bike and not my place to tell you what to do with it..... just a suggestion.

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
imported post

My '85 1200 was getting a tired clutch at 100K miles. It would break loose in 4th & 5th gears under full throttle above 5,000 rpms. A Seafoam treatment before oil change helped a lot.

John

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.