Premium Member
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
61,674 Posts
20-20 review.

He was looking at the camera and that is where the bike started drifting towards. Too busy flashing a 'hi ya' hand wave.

I hope he did not get hurt too badly, at least he had on a lot of protection gear.

We hear it all the time, the bike will go where your eyes are pointed every time.

The obvious is he should have been keeping his eyes on his lane and staying inside that lane.

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
I hate to see anyone go down but AZgl1500 is right in stating that he wasn't paying attention to his ride. Hoping no one was hurt too bad but my vote for the best photo is the one with him flying horizontally.

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
Lawd have mercy!

Being a flat-lander mountain roads make me nervous. Having lived in GA, NC and VA... one thing I know is... rounding turns you have got to STAY IN YOUR LANE!

Two summers ago I did US129... for about the sixth time. I could NOT wait to get out of there. It was insane...

WAY too many crazy people in such a short stretch of road.

I actually passed a 55' semi headed the opposite direction as me...

That's totally Nuts!

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
I know not many people say what I'm about to say when it comes to car vs bike, but man I feel for the guy in the Vette. There wasn't a dang thing he could do. He saw it comin' straight for him and just had to wait for the inevitable.

Recently, in a police photography class I'm taking, we had a "guest speaker" who brought in some actual "crime scene photos" of vehicle accidents. Most of 'em were pretty graphic, but there were a bunch of 'em where it was the same kind of thing. People knew what was coming and couldnt' do anything about it. One was a semi vs a drunk pedestrian... the truck driver has never gotten behind the wheel of anything again because he never got over it.

Be safe out there folks. It ain't fun when the limbs start poppin' off.

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
The dragon

Was on the dragon end of sep, and I can tell ya it was absolutely insane. Soooo many young folks on crotch rockets passing you two abreast. Thank god for the small intermittent break down pads on the right. And yes camera crews at several locations can be a distraction, almost took a peek myself but thought better of it.
I won't be going back any time soon. Hairpins and twisties had me stressed out by the end of the run, but the wing handled it well. Be careful out there.

·
Premium Member
1,514 Posts
Gave up on the curve and himself and got on the brakes game over. Turned the car into a target. Driver of the car really gave him good room trying to flatten out the curve for him to recover. Drop a gear or two and power threw the turn. Hard A$$ landing hope it turned out ok for him.

·
Premium Member
17,087 Posts
There are times I like to see pictures of bikes on the Dragon, this isn't one of them. That wreck really didn't need to happen.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
Gave up on the curve and himself and got on the brakes game over. Turned the car into a target. Driver of the car really gave him good room trying to flatten out the curve for him to recover. Drop a gear or two and power threw the turn. Hard A$$ landing hope it turned out ok for him.
+1 target focus fixation!
He was to far inside to start the corner and he didn't like dragging his pegs like those Thunderbirds do in hard corners.

The camera crews set up just for times like this and get paid per frame.

·
Senior Moment Member
3,707 Posts
This is what I posted to the GL1800riders forum a few days ago.

"I looked over and over at the photo's. This is what I see which may not be the reality of the situation. The guy is more interested at waving to the camera than riding.

In photo #9 his hands are back on the bars but he is late at entering the curve. At this point he should be heading for the white line instead of following the center line.
In photo #10 you can see he now has to lean it onto the hard parts to try and make the curve.
In photo #11 he has straightened back up some and because of this is now crossing the line.
In photo's 12 and on he is fixated on the vette and going where he is looking. His brake light does not come on until picture 15 when he is already well across the line and aimed for the vette.

My take on this is inattention, poor skills and distraction leading to an expensive crash."

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
I saw a map once that had locations marked on it of the biker fatalities. I was unelievable the number of them. If there where tis many deaths in stick and ball games there would be a huge public out cry. +30 since 2000
Wilf

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
61,674 Posts
I can agree to that point of view entirely, he definitely was "behind the curve"

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
Well, +5 for Target Fixation. He went exactly where he was looking.

If he'd not given up on the curve, and kept scraping his bits and pieces, the room that the Vette driver was giving him might have been enough.

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
What have we become?

A species intent on collecting trophies and the images we need to document our moronic achievements. Distributed through whatever electronic means we prefer.... face book, personal blog sites, specialty interest forums... even this one!

I am as guilty as anyone...

It's a stupid mistake,,, but I pray for this man and his family.

It could have just as easily been me,

T

·
Premium Member
1,390 Posts
I bet his butt is pretty sore and his pride is pretty hurt. As to what happened? Hanko is spot on. Poor fella, hopefully he got over it and went practising somewhere safer. I loved the dragen and will go back there, this time with a side mounted camera to ketch them fellas faces on crotch rockets, when I pass them....

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
You wouldn't be the first to ignore it, but isn't the entire length double yellow? How many crotch rocketeers would move over to let you by in their lane.

I hope the rider in the video is alright. I also think it was a waste of a nice Vet.

·
Senior Moment Member
3,707 Posts
I'm just glad it wasn't me doing that endo. I feel for the guy and I hope he came out of this with just bruises to his ego, but I kind of doubt it.

The guy in the vette has to be really pissed, he even tried avoiding the accident by moving to the far outside of his lane to let the guy make the turn.

I'm wondering if he had to have help putting the lid back on that can of whoop a$$ he opened when the bike hit his baby..

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,841 Posts
I have to add my 2 cents here too. This is why I have a problem with the MSF teaching you to stand your bike up straight and then brake in an emergency. That's what I see in the pictures. He leaned hard to try to make the corner, still went over the line so he stood the bike up straight and then hit his brakes, way too late for that to work. If he had been trained to brake into the corner he could have kept his lane. Yeah he should have been slowing for the corner instead of waving, but he still could have made it with the proper training. There was likely target fixation going on as well. I hope he's OK and I too feel for the vette owner!

John

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
The MSF teaches 2 techniques. Of course proper attention and entry speed would have been preferred. But after that point they teach to straighten and then brake if you have room. His inattention left him without that option. The other technique is to brake in the corner, understanding you have less traction for braking while cornering, and then increase braking as the bike slows and straightens up. As I see the pictures he had limited clearance available and seemed to be at about the limits of lean and still heading for the oncoming traffic before he gave up and went to braking. The photos never seem to accurately show the amount of bank in the corners on the dragon. The camera seems to have had a fast picture rate so there probably wasn't much time here from oops to crunch.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.