Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,840 Posts
The MSF teaches 2 techniques.... The other technique is to brake in the corner, understanding you have less traction for braking while cornering, and then increase braking as the bike slows and straightens up....
I'm glad to hear that some are teaching that, hopefully all are now. They did not when I took the ERC in 2006. :waving:

John

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
I'm glad to hear that some are teaching that, hopefully all are now. They did not when I took the ERC in 2006. :waving:

John
They taught us both when I took it in 2010.

·
Just one of the guys
4,790 Posts
It is pretty tough to tell from the photos, speed can not be determined, I wonder if he was closing the throttle before he hit the brakes. Usually if you just let off the gas and push on the inside bar you can add a LOT of turn in a short time. Putting a little rear brake could help a lot also. I don't know if the accident could have been avoided but from the pictures I think if he would have kept on riding and trying to make the corner he might have made it.

·
Premium Member
59,092 Posts
Target fixation in picture 14.. Looks like he might have made it if he'd keep it down in the corner..
Looks like he knocked that Vet clean off the road.............

·
Premium Member
1,779 Posts
WOW - what a set of shots!!! Wonder how many the guy ordered :ShakeHead:

I see two problems like others did... Looking at the camera and target fixation on the Vette... Hope the guy wasn't hurt too bad... Ya gotta pay attention when running the Dragon!!! :rollingeyes:

Les

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
I don't think you can blame the Dragon for this guys crash. I think he would have crashed on any sharp curve that had a camera guy there.

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
I hate to see these kinds of pictures...I went to a PGR service for a retired vet that did the same thing on a trike at the dragon...but it was not a pretty shining red vet he hit...he hit a tree and broke his neck...sad deal...and no reason for it...total waste...I agree the last time I was at the Dragon it was crazy...sports bikes passing on the left and right...out of control... havent been there for a couple of years and don't have any plans of returning anytime soon...

·
Senior Moment Member
3,707 Posts
I too hate to see this type of thing happen. But I fully believe it is not the road, it is the person driving that is the issue here.

We have roads here in the NW that are much harder to navigate than the dragon. The road to Windy Ridge up at Mt St. Helens is one example, twistier and much longer and in some places rougher. You don't see a lot of accidents on that road because it does not have the reputation the dragon has. The distraction of seeing Mt St Helens in the distance is just as dangerous as a photographer on the side of the road. There is no way out but back down the road so you have to do it both ways.

It is peoples actions on the road that make a difference in the number of accidents. I'm just guessing but this guy was probably already distracted with just being on the "Dragon" to begin with.

I feel sorry for the injuries this guy sustained and especially for the owner of the Corvette. The bike riders lapse in judgement is what caused this accident.

·
dlg14
178 Posts
From the East Tenn Riders forum it looks like the guy got away with ONLY breaking his arm/wrist, Lucky if you can call it that.

I rode the Dragon on a Tuesday in the middle of May 2011. It was on/off rain and the road was wet/damp in places but not bad. I saw very few squids and ignored the camera and focused on the corner. I had a great time and look forward to going back. If you ride it early in the year in the middle of the week I think those of you who had a bad experience would have a different outlook. Just my 2.

I should had the guy who went down in the oil from this crash is in bad shape with a long recovery in front of him. If you didn't already check out the link to the East Tenn Riders.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
It is fun during the week. I did it on a Monday morning in middle of Nov 2011. Not much traffic to deal with. Ground off the kury dually peg mount to the bolt on the right side as it was mounted on the low horizontal rail. Changed it to the vertical post once back here.
Many factors play effect into our rides.

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
+1 target focus fixation!
He was to far inside to start the corner and he didn't like dragging his pegs like those Thunderbirds do in hard corners.

The camera crews set up just for times like this and get paid per frame.
Target fixation will get you every time,,,,,got some photos to remind him of this. Hope he fully recovers

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
I ride the Dragon at least 2-3 times a year. This is one road you can't sight-see on. I've always kept my concentration 100% on the ride. You have to totally ignore the photographers. You want to wave and look around - stop the bike and get off !

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts
I ride the Dragon at least 2-3 times a year. This is one road you can't sight-see on. I've always kept my concentration 100% on the ride. You have to totally ignore the photographers. You want to wave and look around - stop the bike and get off !
I agree.

·
Senior Moment Member
3,707 Posts

+1!

·
Premium Member
826 Posts
The wife and I just came back from that area. We had planned on riding the Dragon on Saturday, but I found out a Mustang group was meeting there that day. So we blew it off. Plenty of other great roads there.
Had a couple pucker moments. Rounded a curve and saw a Mustang in my lane coming at us. Another curve, the car I was behind, decided to stop to look at something, without pulling off the road.
I'm sure I was about the slowest thing on the road last week, but we're home safe and saw the sights.
Ride YOUR ride!!!

·
Premium Member
59,092 Posts
Well hopefully we can all learn a little from these photos and not get in that spot to start with.........

21 - 40 of 43 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.