Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Leaving on a trip from Sumter, SC to Deal’s Gap this coming Tuesday. There will be five of us riding up and camping at Kickstand Lodge till Friday and then heading home. We are going to avoid the interstate as much as possible and just take our time and enjoy the ride up.
Anyone familiar with the Westminster/Walhalla area that can suggest the better route to take from either of those locations? I am thinking Moonshiner 28 is the way to go but one of the other guys thinks Westminster to 441 is the way to go. Any words of wisdom?
While there we plan on riding the Dragon of course. I have ridden it before but not the other guys. The Cherohala Skyway is a must do as well. What other roads and attractions should we attempt to ride or see?

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
Personally, I really liked 28. Plan on riding it again in August. Then again, this one is too easy. 28 there and 441 back. Or vice versa. :)

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You have a great idea there. I definitely want to ride the Moonshiner 28.

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
Moonshiners is a great road and if you have never, or even if you have, the part off 441 through the Smokey Mt Nat Park is a great road. In between Deals Gap (129 & foothills Parkway) and 441, there is another road that looks like fun State Road 73 (321), Little River Road. We looked for it last time we were out there but must have missed it so we went for a steak dinner in Gatlinburg instead.

I'll be out there in a couple of weeks and Im looking for that road again, lots of curves....

Not many bad roads out there..........

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Moonshiners is a great road and if you have never, or even if you have, the part off 441 through the Smokey Mt Nat Park is a great road. In between Deals Gap (129 & foothills Parkway) and 441, there is another road that looks like fun State Road 73 (321), Little River Road. We looked for it last time we were out there but must have missed it so we went for a steak dinner in Gatlinburg instead.

I'll be out there in a couple of weeks and Im looking for that road again, lots of curves....

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
1,846 Posts
Ride 209 south out of Hot Springs, they call it the Rattler, then when you get to Canton you can take Crabtree Mountain Road. It is a real short road, maybe 5-6 miles but has some good solom turn and hairpins. Narrow road, no lane marking and some loose spring time gravel but all in all a good ride.

Ritchie

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ride 209 south out of Hot Springs, they call it the Rattler, then when you get to Canton you can take Crabtree Mountain Road. It is a real short road, maybe 5-6 miles but has some good solom turn and hairpins. Narrow road, no lane marking and some loose spring time gravel but all in all a good ride.

Ritchie
Sounds like a nice ride.

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
Definitely ride The Moonshiner's 28, The Cherohala, The Dragon and the Foothills Parkway that you can get on at the bottom of the Dragon. Of course you could go to Cherokee and get on the Blueridge Parkway too.
Have a grat trip and be careful on the Dragon.
Dubs

·
Premium Member
1,458 Posts

last year we rode old TN 73 out of Townsend over to 441 and then through the park. it is a good ride, but then again, we didn't find any bad roads to ride.

don't miss out on riding 28 regardless of which route you take to get there.

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Woo Hoo, leaving in the AM for our Moonshiner/Hellbender/Dragon/Skyway ride.:)

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
A great day of riding yesterday to the Campground. Today was going good as well. Three passes on the Dragon with no problems, and then on to the Foothills Parkway. Got on to 321 and headed to Gatlinburg, TN when one of the riders in our group went down. He is beat up but nothing broken, bike still ridable but he isn't up to it. So here we are at a country store waiting on one of the guys to ride into Maryville and rent a UHaul.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.