Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had hand wings and Wind Wings on my 1500. My 1800 has some hand wings (but not baker or national cycle style, they are 'curved' - haven't seen them before) mounted on the mirrors, but I'd like something that can deflect cold air on colder days, and direct more air to me (to cool me off) on hotter days, so I'm looking at air wings and Dragon wings (and open to other brands/types as well).

Has anybody use the Kuryakyn Dragon Wings? (http://cyclemax.com/inc/sdetail/gl1800_dragon_wings/76/38264)

How do they compare to the Baker Built Air Wings:
http://cyclemax.com/inc/sdetail/gl1800_air_wings_with_lowers/76/14363

I'm probably more concerned about getting more air in on warmer days than deflecting cold air away on chilly days, if that makes a difference between the two.

Both are pretty close in price.

·
Premium Member
1,864 Posts
I don't know much about the dragon wings but it appears you have more airflow control with the Baker. The lower wing keeps the rad heat off you and the upper flows cool air on you, or vice versa if it is cool out. They also reduce buffeting for the passenger when the wings are open and you can control how much air you want. I also have the hand and leg wings.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't know much about the dragon wings but it appears you have more airflow control with the Baker. The lower wing keeps the rad heat off you and the upper flows cool air on you, or vice versa if it is cool out. They also reduce buffeting for the passenger when the wings are open and you can control how much air you want. I also have the hand and leg wings.
Curious about the heat from the rad outlet - how noticeable is the heat? For example, do you really notice a difference in the cold drawing the rad outlet air towards you, and in hot weather, do you notice the difference directing the rad heat away from you? I know it's pretty subjective, just like the 'toe warmer' outlets on the 1500 SE's and the 1800's with the comfort package (although mine has the comfort package, the previous owner replaced the lower exhaust covers with some chrome ones that don't have the flaps, so the little lever really does nothing...)

I know on my 1500, the toe warmers were noticeable/useful but only in certain weather conditions - for example a cool evening ride, but when it was actually 'cold' out, they didn't seem to do anything. In hot weather, it was really nice to have the hand wings and wind wings to get some air directed towards me to help keep me cool.

·
Super Moderator
6,132 Posts
I have bakers on mine, had them on the 1200, 1500 and the 1800, only ones I'll use.

Yes, if you open the bottom wings on cold days, you will feel the difference, specially at lower speeds (below 55mph). I have the wind wings, hand wings and leg wings which I really like.

I also made a set of foot wings as an experiment to see if I would like them and I do. The seem to funnel the heat from the heads off your feet and keeps the dry(er) on wet roads, worth looking into.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.