Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,692 Posts
I have ridden the Dragon several times . Its a road with a lot of curves. It's been promoted , mostly made famous by the hotel/souveneir store at one end of it . There are a great numbers of roads just as good or better in the general area. If you do go there, be sure to check out the Cherahola Skyway. Also the Wheels Thru Time is a nice motorcycle museum Located in Maggie Valley which you may want to take in.

·
Premium Member
402 Posts
I've done it probably 6 times. Once both ways. It is a good ride but you have to be careful. Especially if it's crowded. The sport bikes like to think they own the road. One good thing is no more truck traffic to deal with.

Best to do it in the early afternoon when all dampness is off the road.

·
Administrator
24,497 Posts
Been there twice. My impression is it gets boring after a while, same left right, left right over & over. I love twisty roads but I have ridden many I enjoyed more.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I have ridden it a couple times but I just got tired of the ricers trying to push you out of the way. Ok, I get it, they can do 60 MPH through the turns but I am NOT pulling into every pulloff just for them. They call it common courtesy, I call it a speed limit! I am already going quite a bit over that, deal with it.

·
Administrator
57,638 Posts
I have ridden it a couple times but I just got tired of the ricers trying to push you out of the way. Ok, I get it, they can do 60 MPH through the turns but I am NOT pulling into every pulloff just for them. They call it common courtesy, I call it a speed limit! I am already going quite a bit over that, deal with it.
and that is how I call it too.

I can push the speed limit by 10 or maybe a bit more, but my reflexes at 77 y/o are no where as sharp as they were 10 to 15 years ago.

Now, I just want to enjoy the scenery.
And I can't do that if I am pushing my skills to the edge of loosing the bike in a curve.

·
Premium Member
920 Posts
like others are saying it's best to ride in the middle of the week to avoid the hard core riders and sports cars. it's good to ride it and get your bragging rights and a Tee if you want then go ride the other great roads in the area that are far less stressful. + 1 on Wheels through time and the Cherahola Skyway.

·
Premium Member
3,381 Posts
Done it by car & bike. First time was to see it, following times were just to get to other end. It's nothing but curves ... tight curves. The motel at the lower end, the shop? Featured at end of movie "Two Lane Blacktop". Tree full of bike parts at motel, a monument to idiots I rekon. Only motel I have ever checked into, unpacked bike, looked at & smelled room, packed up and checked out with a refund in 5 minutes. It's a hyped up dangerous road with a dump at the lower end. It is a pretty drive at low speed, just forget the mirrors, watch that oncoming lane, watch for a Swift truck maybe. It's a good distance to the hospital.

The Cherahola Skyway is far better. The Blue Ridge Parkway is far better. Even Rt 56 from Vesuvious to Montebello in Va. is a damn sight better.

·
Administrator
57,638 Posts
I don't buy tourist crap, T-shirts, etc...

and the reports on the motels there would preclude me from even walking in the door.

I doubt that I ever have a hankering to want to ride that road, the downside is not worth the upside.

I will be going to Dayton, OH sometime next summer and spend a week or two with my son there. He just bought an apartment up there, his work contract is going to run 3 to 5 years.... and he just plain got tired of driving back to Dawsonville, GA every Friday night, and then going back to work in Dayton every Sunday night.

His wife went up with him last Sunday, they just bought a couple of recliners, two end tables and TV trays, and they are done with setting up the apartment.

Prior to this, for the last 2.5 years, he has been up there by himself.

·
Registered
42 Posts
We rode it this past June. I thought the ride from the end of Cherahola Skyway east to Robbinsville was a much nicer ride.
We arrived on a Tuesday, and it rained off and on most of the day. May have been more fun if the road was dry, but I doubt it.
County sheriff was patrolling and pulling people over.
From Deals Gap to Cherokee, and there over to Maggie Valley was great riding.
BRP was fun~ish for a while, but again the rain put a damper on the ride.

All that to say, I would love to go back but I would skip the Dragon and ride other roads in the area.

·
Average Goldwing Rider
1,027 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,763 Posts
I ride the Dragon and Cherohala quite a few times during the year since both are about an hour or so east of me...

I usually avoid weekends which are pretty crowded and try to ride them mid-week when traffic and tourists are lower...

The Cherohala is my favorite with large sweepers and cooler temps up top during the hot summer days here... Ride them both and many other TN/NC roads - we've got a ton of good back roads here in Eastern TN and NC...

1722742.jpg

·
Premium Member
3,359 Posts
The Dragon is NOT a road to be ridden IMO on Friday, Saturday , or Sunday!!! Way too many Twit's out there with a Death Wish!!! Monday through Thursday is pretty good though with Wednesday being about the best as far as lack of traffic. All the one's you normally have to worry about are either at work or still recuperating in the hospital from the prior weekend!!! :grin: Here's a video I made there a few years back.. Hope you enjoy it!!:coollep:

it said "unavailable for me," so I stripped the URL out so folks can copy and paste it.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ioCSZdkJf0&t=65s

·
New Sidecar guy
74 Posts
Rode the Dragon once in 2014. Did it in my Subaru because we were returning from vacation. Lady on a HD came across the Double Yellow and center punched my radiator. Think a bike won't do much damage? Think again. 2015 car with 5200 miles was totaled.
That bike did $17,000 worth of damage. I almost feel sorry for the woman rider. She really got hurt..

1 - 20 of 36 Posts