Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Administrator
57,667 Posts
Rode the Dragon once in 2014. Did it in my Subaru because we were returning from vacation. Lady on a HD came across the Double Yellow and center punched my radiator. Think a bike won't do much damage? Think again. 2015 car with 5200 miles was totaled.
That bike did $17,000 worth of damage. I almost feel sorry for the woman rider. She really got hurt..
Feel sorry for her also, but just curious.
Did her insurance take care of buying you a new car?

·
Premium Member
3,618 Posts
I have absolutely no desire to ride the tail of the dragon. Not because of the no fear sport bike riders. Not because of most of the slower riders. I don't want to be involved with and taken out by one the multitudes of inexperienced Harley riders. Lots of them, men and women, take their bikes to the dragon, because of it's reputation, without a clue how to safely ride in the curves. No clue how to ride to their experience. Look on youtube at the accidents on the dragon videos. Most are clueless harley riders. Thanks but no thanks!!!

·
New Sidecar guy
78 Posts
Feel sorry for her also, but just curious.
Did her insurance take care of buying you a new car?
Yes her insurance paid for it. My insurance wanted to fix it. $17K I paid just over $24K for it one Month before the accident.

·
Administrator
57,667 Posts
Yes her insurance paid for it. My insurance wanted to fix it. $17K I paid just over $24K for it one Month before the accident.
with 17k worth of damage?
I would say no to a repair, it was 'new' when it got wrecked, you deserve 'new' with the replacement.

and excuse me, but just where does your insurance get into the discussion, when it is HER insurance that has to pay for the damages?

I suppose it is because you wanted to replace it with new, and your insurance has to cough up money?

·
Premium Member
8,921 Posts
I have absolutely no desire to ride the tail of the dragon. Not because of the no fear sport bike riders. Not because of most of the slower riders. I don't want to be involved with and taken out by one the multitudes of inexperienced Harley riders. Lots of them, men and women, take their bikes to the dragon, because of it's reputation, without a clue how to safely ride in the curves. No clue how to ride to their experience. Look on youtube at the accidents on the dragon videos. Most are clueless harley riders. Thanks but no thanks!!!
Lots of better rides than the Tail of the Dragon and closer to Oklahoma also JMHO

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
There's all kinds of better rides. The sisters in I believe in Texas. Nephew tells me that Oklahoma has a great 175 mile ride right around where he lives. But I really wanna ride the Dragon before I die.

·
Just one of the guys
4,776 Posts
The tail of the dragon is one of those things you just have to do if for no other reason than to see what all the hype is about. I have been over it about 4 times and never had a bad experience with another rider causing me to feel in danger. While in the area definitely ride some of the other roads on the area, Cherohala, Moonshiner 28, foothills parkway, and into the Great Smokey Mountain Park to see the sights there.

·
Administrator
57,667 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
I've not ridden it as of yet. Not too anxious to ride it with having to deal with other riders as well as other vehicle drivers of various levels of skill. I can say, however, that my current GL1800 has made the trip with its original owner. He left a souvenir "Tail of the Dragon" kickstand pad on the bike when I bought it five years ago. Can I get a half of a point for that?

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
I rode a few years ago with 1800 goldwing. It was a rainy day so turns were slow. I enjoyed it but once was plenty-don't need an accident on that. I did from north to south as I was heading home from Michigan.

·
Registered
101 Posts
My wife and I rode the Dragon while on our honeymoon but the ride to the Dragon was much better! We rode the Blue Ridge Parkway from Asheville to Hwy 28 exit then 28 to the Dragon. Absolutely beautiful during the 1st week of May. There are many beautiful and scenic roads in the area. The Harley dealership on the north end of the dragon offers motorcylce tours that the manager told us are hard to find unless you are local to the area.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
Rode the Dragon in 05' on a Gixxer 1k also on a 03' Yammie 600 both ripped in up, Yes I was one with a "DeathWish" and Rode like a Jackass, that aside, the Cherola Skyway WAAAAAAAY better ride then the Dragon for anyone. The Dragon just a super technical ride and the Skyway is full of LOOOOONG sweepers. Do the Skyway later in the day as early to late morning the fog and cloud cover is terrible, and dangerous. And yep back then the Sheriffs were doin their best to pull us over, even hasd one ATTEMPT to stop me comin out of the dragon which unfortunately for his wife or lady at home I'm sure he wasnt too nice when he came home as he tried to chase me 20 miles to Ashville, where I had enough time to go inside eat a couple slices of pizza come out and pass him comin down from up at the Dragon and I hit the Skyway never to be seen again. But if he ever was even thought to be close enough to cam the plate it ended up being pointed at the road and not him as those front ends get real light when being pursued...lol. Thank God for wisdon in hindsight without accidents once in awhile.

·
Premium Member
3,389 Posts
back then the Sheriffs were doin their best to pull us over, even hasd one ATTEMPT to stop me comin out of the dragon which unfortunately for his wife or lady at home I'm sure he wasnt too nice when he came home as he tried to chase me 20 miles to Ashville, where I had enough time to go inside eat a couple slices of pizza come out and pass him comin down from up at the Dragon and I hit the Skyway never to be seen again.
Wasn't likely to be him still looking for you then.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts