Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I just went to change my oil today, (1986 GL1200 se-i)to put it away for the winter, and realized that the drain plug didn't have a sealing washer on it. This is the third time I am changing the oil and I never realized that there should be a sealing washer on the drain plug. (No drips of oil at all.) I just happened to read the owners manual and noticed that there was supposed to be one. I checked the oil as I dumped it through the funnel into a gallon jug, and it wasn't there. (First time I changed the oil, I noticed that the oil filter was light one washer also. The PO must have lost both of them.)
My question is, what material is this washer made of? Plastic, metal or a crush washer? Maybe I can pick one up at the hardware store.
Thanks for any info. that you can give me.

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
imported post

On my 1500's and 1800's the crush washers are made of aluminum. I buy them at any automotive supply store.....they are 14mm.

·
Administrator
26,149 Posts
imported post

It is an aluminum washer, the lack of it has caused many drain holes to be stripped. It is supposed to be changed with every oil change but if you are careful you can reuse it several times. You can get them at a Honda car dealer if it is handier.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

14mm aluminum crush washer and yes I did a dozen oil changes before the light came on and I realized that the flange on the bolt was just that a flange not a crush washer.:shock:

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

Next time you place an order with Gary at Cyclemax, order a couple of them, as they are only $0.35 a piece.

Like Dave says, if you're careful when reinstalling the oildrain bolt, you can reuse them many times. ... just don't over torque them!

·
Premium Member
1,783 Posts
imported post

I still have the original on my 93 Aspy and it doesn't leak... I just bought a few filters from my dealer and decided to spring for the new crush washers... I'll change the crush washer next oil change and see if I can get 72K miles out of the new one like the old one :doh:

Les

·
Bruce County Boy/Snowbird
1,707 Posts
imported post

I just tighten up the oil drain bolt on our 1500. No washer there at all..I have no leaks..

Am I supposed to be using a washer too?

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

Hawggy wrote:
I just tighten up the oil drain bolt on our 1500. No washer there at all..I have no leaks..

:grinner:

·
Bruce County Boy/Snowbird
1,707 Posts
imported post

Dusty Boots wrote:
Hawggy wrote:

:grinner:
On that note.... I will order 4 when I put my Cycle max fork order in..:D

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,576 Posts
imported post

I must confess. I've never changed mine. Have the original on the cooling system drain too.

Yes, I'm a bad person. :(

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Thanks for all the answers, guys. I looked on wingstuff.com and they had crush washers, but it said for the 1500 and 1800. They also had a drain plug and washer for the 1200 for $8.99.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,576 Posts

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

Woaa!! Much cheaper!

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
imported post

Like Dave0430 pointed out, the local Honda car dealer's repair shop will sell them to you for around the same price as the on-line shops, but without the cost of shipping. There are about 50 car models that used that same washer for the drain plug. Part # is 94109-14000.

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

Thanks. Heading to the Honda dealer tonight to pick some up. They're a whopping 46 cents a piece! They did tell me over the phone that they should be changed at every oil change.

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
imported post

Any auto-parts store will have them by the box load. Usually they are about 25-50c each.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.