Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi, all,
What a great forum! I've already gotten huge amounts of information just scanning the threads already here!

Anyway, to the point.
I bought a '78 GL1000 this spring (30k miles), and it has what appears to be a fairly common problem, i.e., bad gas mileage + carbon fouled plugs = carb guck and/or bad air cut valve.

I have an air cut valve kit on the way and I'm doing the "drain carbs, apply seafoam" trick (Thanks!) but I can't get a straight shot at the left side carb drains with my screwdriver. I've slightly damaged the slots, but I hope that someone here has some tips on getting into the left side carbs before I totally bugger the slots up.

Thanks,
--Bob

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

welcome to the forum! Love my '78. have you tried an angle scre-driver? they are a little tool that is shapped like a squared off S allowing you to get into those tight spots. Also, try taking the carb tops off. there is a spring loaded slide with the top. take a very clean soft rag and wipe off the slide mechinism. sometimes these hang up... although that will usually only affect one carb or so. Also check to make sure that the crankcase vent hose that goes to the air-intake is not clogged up. that will create back pressure causing more oil into the combustion chamber.

good luck

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.