Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hey everyone, it's me again. I recently did a head gasket and belt swap and changed the oil while I was at it. I put Rotella 15-40 in. Now the weather has turned colder in the mornings and I am getting the dreaded starter clutch spin problem when I first try to start it. I have read some of the topics here that suggest going to 10-40. My quesiton is if there is a particular brand/type. I know a lot of people suggest a diesel grade oil which is why i went with the Rotella but Rotella doesn't come in 10-40(at least where I live)

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Before going to a lighter oil, check the voltage at your starter when you crank the engine. If it has less than 10V on the terminal that may be part of the problem. The starter needs 10V to crank reliably.

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
imported post

Agree with ex to check the cranking voltage first. If your oil is fresh I would just add a Cup of MMO to thin it some. That will also help clean the rollers in the Sprague Clutch.

·
Premium Member
1993 gl1500, 1976 gl1000
3,793 Posts
imported post

It's getting colder even in Texas. I run 10-30 in the winter months and 20-50 in the summer. With the 20-50 my starter also spins when it's cold. Won't get into oil brands. As long as it meets specs and has no additives you will be ok.

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
imported post

rcmatt007 wrote:
time to sell the bike at below market value.....
Rodger

You can not buy every bike that someone has a problem with:shock::shock::shock::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

I only paid 700 for it so I'll keep it for awhile

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
imported post

Whikserfish has the right advice using the MMO. Been there, done that. Worked for me.

John

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.