Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Id like to buff out the rust pitting in the crevices and where joints were welded.

Anyone suggest a proper Dremel attachments?

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
imported post

I've used NEVERDULL ( Canadian Tire ) and a tooth brush. I was quite pleased with the results. Tear off a bit and stick it in the bristles of the toothbrush, its works quite well. A small toothbrush works best.

Cheers

Grant

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Hey PoorOldThing :waving:Welcome to the best Goldwing forum on the net. :clapper:

:leprechaun::18red::leprechaun:

·
Premium Member
299 Posts
imported post

I'ld recommend never dull, It works great,

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
imported post

I thought the only thing Neverdull was used for was keeping Marine Corps recruits busy polishing our brass!:shock: At least thats all I used it for back in 77. :waving:

Bob :11grey:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

That's what Marines do, Army guys use Brasso!

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
imported post

Poor Old Thing, the answer to your question is to buy the polishing kit that Dremel sells. It has brass and steel wire wheels, different buffing pads with compound and a variety of other things. Also, use as slow of speed as possible. That will reduce burning the area you're working on.

If you have a Dremel that has brushes, you can make a speed control for it for the cost of a 500w. dimmer, a double outlet box(room for two duplex outlets), some extension cord and couple of wirenuts. You wire the dimmer in series with the outlet. Then you can run your Dremmel at very low speed up to full speed. Very handy to have.

Be aware that if you're polishing the engine area, I believe these spots are clearcoated. You may have to go farther in than you thought to get to what you want to polish.

Hobie

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Thanks very much-I will see what I can find at the hardware store-Im a tad afraid to use wire wheels on CHrome but if its small enough well give it a go. SOme of my chrome (light bars around saddlebags is pretty well shot so I am not expecting any miracles.

The engine is a concern as their are areas where gasoline has spilled and sat from inattentive mechanics and caused pitting. Have you any experience with cleaning engine?

My Dremel has variable speed so I can keep it fairly slow I think.

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Thanks for this recommendation-I picked some up at Cdn Tire yesterday along with some PEEK and Marvel Mystery Oil which I learned was available from this site.

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
imported post

I use the flex-shaft attachment on my dremel , with a scotch brite type of wheel that dremel has, then I use buffing wheels with compound to get the shine I'm after. I finish with semi-chomre.:cool:

I've picked up the scotch brite wheels & Dremel attachments at local Hardwares, Home Depot, Lowes, & such. The buffing wheels I've gotten on eBay.

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
imported post

Good call ex, I was issued or forced to buy a can of brasso in basic training. After a few months I found a can of nevrdull in an automotive store andfelt likeI had discovered the cure for cancer, it works so much better. I never thought to compare the marines to the army by their preferences in brass polish!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.