Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Any one have an idea for a home made drink holder? I have an idea for one but I'm having trouble finding the right size parts!

·
Premium Member
2,076 Posts
imported post

i used a bottle holder off of a bicycle and went to Home Depot or any hardware store in the electrical section they have a mount which has a rubber surround that fits over the bars and then screws on to the bottle cage

·
Premium Member
68,164 Posts
imported post

I am thinking about the camel-back route!

·
Registered
313 Posts
imported post

I borrowed an idea from AVA Autotech. I purchased2 wire mesh pencil holders from Staples. A couple of nylon ties and I have a drink holder for myself and one for the passenger. I attach the holder to the right side passenger grab rail and mine on the handlebar. Works great. Cost--- about $1 each.

John

·
Premium Member
2,013 Posts
imported post

johnboy wrote:
I borrowed an idea from AVA Autotech. I purchased2 wire mesh pencil holders from Staples. A couple of nylon ties and I have a drink holder for myself and one for the passenger. I attach the holder to the right side passenger grab rail and mine on the handlebar. Works great. Cost--- about $1 each.

John
pics please:waving:

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
imported post

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
imported post

I took britman's idea with the water bottle cage and applied it to the passenger armrest. I made a prototype bracket that mounts under the armrest and the water bottle cage attaches to the bracket. Will take pics when I get home.

The bracket is long enough that the top of the water bottle is just below the top of the armrest and doesn't get in the way. Most other mass produced cup/bottle holders for the passenger armrest sit too high and the cup/bottle is in the way.

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
imported post

You could use some 3" PVC pipe with a cap glued in. Cut it to fit your needs, paint it, and zip tie it to wherever you see fit. I will see about going to the hardware store and getting the parts to take pics. I haven't done it yet seeing as I literally just came up with the idea. LOL

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

pcfix_3 wrote:
You could use some 3" PVC pipe with a cap glued in. Cut it to fit your needs, paint it, and zip tie it to wherever you see fit. I will see about going to the hardware store and getting the parts to take pics. I haven't done it yet seeing as I literally just came up with the idea. LOL
That's my idea too but 3" is to small and 4" just looks bad on the bike! I'm trying a 3" PVC union and grinding out the center ridge! Going to see about a couple of things today and see what I get!

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
imported post

FINALLY!! Got some pics of my prototype bracket with the bottle cage attached to the armrest with a bottle in it.

And with no bottle

·
Premium Member
17,087 Posts
imported post

Yesterday I went to a Wal-Mart. I could have gone to the store 2 miles from my house, but instead rode 125 miles to Wal-Mart: that is a different story.

While looking in the bicycle section I found this one made by Bell. One nice thing about it is that it can be mounted vertically for the bicycle up-right or horizontally for the handle-bar. $6.95 and three screws later, I have a drink holder that works really well for the small Gatorade bottles.

·
Premium Member
1,317 Posts

Attachments

·
Premium Member
17,087 Posts
imported post

SidecarMike wrote:
I've not had good luck with bicycle holders. Every bottle I find is fine when full, but tends to pop up as it is emptied.
That is why I like this one. The top is angled slightly which helps to keep the bottle from slipping out. In addition, a Gatorade bottle has a groove formed in the bottle at the perfect spot that it rides at the top of the of the holder.

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
imported post

SidecarMike wrote:
I've not had good luck with bicycle holders. Every bottle I find is fine when full, but tends to pop up as it is emptied.
I was afraid of that also....where it is mounted is in the air stream. So I took an empty water bottle and rode theinterstate about 10 mileson the way to work one morning and the bottle stayed in the holder without moving at all. I made sure the bottle slid in and out easilyalso.

It is adjustable as you can bend it if needed to loosen or tighten onto your bottle. But mainly it is the height of the bottle that was my main concern. The bracket is made to allow thetop of the bottle to be even with (or below depending on the bottle) the top of the armrest pad. This allows my wife to be able to move her arm to the outside without having the bottle in the way.

This makesmama happy.....and when mama's happy.....EVERYONE is happy!!:action:

·
Premium Member
1,317 Posts
imported post

Snorebaby wrote:
SidecarMike wrote:
I was afraid of that also....where it is mounted is in the air stream. So I took an empty water bottle and rode theinterstate about 10 mileson the way to work one morning and the bottle stayed in the holder without moving at all. I made sure the bottle slid in and out easilyalso.

It is adjustable as you can bend it if needed to loosen or tighten onto your bottle. But mainly it is the height of the bottle that was my main concern. The bracket is made to allow thetop of the bottle to be even with (or below depending on the bottle) the top of the armrest pad. This allows my wife to be able to move her arm to the outside without having the bottle in the way.

This makesmama happy.....and when mama's happy.....EVERYONE is happy!!:action:
I use a Camelback for water. The cup holder is fordecaffeinated sunshine. As such, my holder is designed to hold an insulated mug.

·
Premium Member
1,317 Posts
imported post

SidecarMike wrote:
I've not had good luck with bicycle holders. Every bottle I find is fine when full, but tends to pop up as it is emptied. I found a guy on ebay who is willing to customize them to your specs. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.m748&item=150638067546&viewitem=&_trkparms=clkid%3D1742603565158276108
His price sure beats the aftermarket.
He made me a pair that are 6 inches tall. I should have them next week. I'll report when they arrive.
As promised, the drink holders have arrived. I'm impressed. They are made of 1/4 inch solid rod and include a 1 1/2" by 1 inch flat plate for mounting. These are built by a guy in his spare time, so they are nothing fancy. Although it comes painted, it has weld spatter and some of the welds could be ground down smoother.

He said his goal was to come up with something affordable, that the average guy could go after with a Dremel tool if they want to fancy it up. I specificly asked that he make mine 6 inches tall, to better contain a bottle or thermal cup. We figured out that by dropping a couple hockey pucks in the bottom, you could still use it with a can. He is willing to deal direct or through ebay. You can reach him at [email protected]. I ordered two. Even with a special size, he charged me $10 each and $10 for shipping. I plan to get at least one more for the sidecar and a half dozen for our pontoon boat.

Tell him SidecarMike sent you.

From the time I gave him my specs till they arrived in my mailbox, was three working days. I'm pleased. I'll add a photo after it is mounted in place.

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
imported post

I ordered a couple from him too Mike! Had mine mad 3 1/2 by 5 to fit my drink bottle. Should be here Monday! Thanks for the link!

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
imported post

britman wrote:
i used a bottle holder off of a bicycle and went to Home Depot or any hardware store in the electrical section they have a mount which has a rubber surround that fits over the bars and then screws on to the bottle cage
I have the same sort of thing.. at bottle cage from a bicycle... 'cept with me i just used two nylon wire ties to secure it to the handlebars.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.