Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

During the Summer and in just about any nice riding weather, I see many drinking establishments with bikes parked out front. I just wonder how much partaking some of these riders do and in what condition do they get back on their bikes. I love beer but don't drink at all if I'm going to ride or drive, for that matter.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
360 Posts
imported post

Don't know if this will offend anyone (maybe not, as GWE riders are generally pretty smart about these things), buty I think that anyone who drinks and rides a bike is...um, I'll be PC here...intellectually challenged.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
406 Posts
imported post

When I go for a ride on hot summer days, I and the wife will sometimes stop for a beer or two,maybe three(literally) on the way home, I know I can handle it, some may not , I know I will get ripped on here, have at it, but if you know me, I am the one in the group that is typically themost responsible. we all know our limitations.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
745 Posts
imported post

I'm notcocky enoughon a bike to think I have the ability to drink and drive and I doubt I ever will

E
 

·
I am the Hobo
Joined
·
9,690 Posts
imported post

i can say that when we go out for club runs if we stop for a break it is normally at a cafe. if we go in a pub i have noticed that the vast majority of riders have soft drinks.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
21,185 Posts
imported post

Drinking and driving/ riding are both fine.... just not together!!!!:shock:

I couldn't give a monkeys, what anyone thinks of me, ordering my long glass of pineapple and lemonade, if we stop at a pub on a ride or drive. In the circle of friends I ride with they tend to do much the same. The days of being considered strange if you don't consume loads of alcohol and then weave your way home on a quiet back road, have long gone. These days everyone is aware of the inherrent dangers of drinking and driving, so anyone who does so deserves to get caught and dealt with by the law. That said, I have no objection to soemone having a drink within the legal limits of their particular country, if they are regular drinkers there should be no problem. I personally drink so little that just one pint of beer,or a glass of wine can go to my head, so I just don't do it if I am going to be riding or driving.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
37 Posts
imported post

Well said Pete (Silverfox) - I'm with you on this one.

I also avoid drinking (any alchohol) "the night before" if I am going to ride the Wing the next day -I'm convinced many motoring accidents are the cause of alchohol remaining in the system.

When I was a teenager, we used to test peoples' reaction times by getting them to try to catch a pound-note (was about the same size as a dollar note) when it was dropped vertically through their open first-finger and thumb - If youve hadsome drink, you can't do it - your reaction times are slowed down. Every second, or part of it, counts and may make the difference between life and death - not necessarily for you.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
426 Posts
imported post

I might have 1 or at the most 2 beers, but I'm going to have to be there for a least a couple of hours. I enjoy adult beverages as much or more than the next person, but drinking and motorcycling just don't mix...at least not for me... I find that it requires "all" of my faculties to ridea bike properly.. My Saturday morning golf group gives me a rash of crap because I don't "over indulge" with them....They know that I'm holding off because I want to ride my bike later that afternoon.. One of my buddies gives me such a hard time about how much I enjoy myGoldwing that he asked me if I'd located the "female genatalia" (wink wink) on it yet.....I told him no, but I'd certainlybe looking for it.....
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
745 Posts
imported post

chesterwgunn wrote:
My Saturday morning golf group gives me a rash of crap because I don't "over indulge" with them....They know that I'm holding off because I want to ride my bike later that afternoon.. One of my buddies gives me such a hard time about how much I enjoy myGoldwing that he asked me if I'd located the "female genatalia" (wink wink) on it yet.....I told him no, but I'd certainlybe looking for it.....
If you ever find the"female genatalia" (wink wink)you'll probably end up with a real rash of crap !!:cheeky1::cheeky1:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,502 Posts
imported post

I like a drink or two, love to laugh, to act stupid. To mess around. To have a good time.

But not on the bike, nope, I intend to ride one for a long time yet, safely and enjoy it. So that drinking stuff and the fun can wait till the bike is parked for the day.

As for the bikes you see parked alongside the bars. In my area they call them sports bars, and they have sprung up like flowers all over the place, they show the ball game and sell beer. Just about every weekend, one of them gets put under the flowers the following week, due to getting on the bikes on the way home after a visit to several of them.

Kit
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,097 Posts
imported post

Silverfox wrote:
Drinking and driving/ riding are both fine.... just not together!!!!:shock:

I couldn't give a monkeys, what anyone thinks of me, ordering my long glass of pineapple and lemonade, if we stop at a pub on a ride or drive. In the circle of friends I ride with they tend to do much the same. The days of being considered strange if you don't consume loads of alcohol and then weave your way home on a quiet back road, have long gone. These days everyone is aware of the inherrent dangers of drinking and driving, so anyone who does so deserves to get caught and dealt with by the law. That said, I have no objection to soemone having a drink within the legal limits of their particular country, if they are regular drinkers there should be no problem. I personally drink so little that just one pint of beer,or a glass of wine can go to my head, so I just don't do it if I am going to be riding or driving.
Very well said.

When working on the farms we were invited to dinners that were given by suppliers. All you can eat and drink. The beer and whiskey flowed like water and so many people would really indulge past the point of sensibility.

I found out really fast as a teenager that my body size could not handle much alcohol and after several late night dates with the porcelain throne, quit drinking more than just a glass of wine or two at home.

I never drink and drive. Even when out for dinner with friends or family, I won't drink even one if I'm driving.

One younger brother has had a DUI related accident, only his truck ended up in the ditch. My older brother had several single car accidents but never got a DUI.

Now days a DUI is so serious. No license for a while, attorney fees, court fees, increase in the cost of your insurance for years and that is without an accident.

The people who decide to hit the bars or pubs and have a few drinks make their own choice and I can't argue with that. With more and more attorneys looking for a fast bunch of bucks there will be more lawsuits where the bar owner should have stopped serving customers before they reached the point they got to.

So when I'm on my bike or in the car, it's iced tea.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
814 Posts
imported post

Drinking and riding, not this boy. Went on a poker run a couple of months ago which ended up at a bowling alley. Booze was following, my friend and I made sure we left early to avoid any mishap that could have occured.

I agree if you know your limits but that law can and will put a damper on that with a DUI if not careful.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
57 Posts
imported post

I am a lush, I get on the drink and I'm done for, get off the roads and off the side walks, don't even go in your front yard. Yeah I've been known to turn the bottom up on a few.
There should be help for us bikers hooked on ESPRESSO!!
I don't care for alcohol though. You all can have my share of that.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,880 Posts
imported post

I don't do it because I know one drink does affect me. If I drink I don't ride. If I ride I don't drink. As an MSF Instructor, I also try to practice what I preach. Ride safe out there!

Bernie
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
919 Posts
imported post

I dont mix it up mainly due to the fact that when I'm 100% alert its still tough to stay sharp and be on the lookout for idiots trying to run me over. I don't need anything else working against me.

Plus think about it, if you can handle a few beers and you have some. Whats going to happen if you get run over? Eat a pack of Mentos(The Fresh Maker) before the LEA gets there? If you go to the hospital they'll draw blood, put a cath in you and any alcohol will be looked at as you were out dui and they'll blame you whether its your fault or not.

Its just too dangerous out there amongst traffic to shave down alertness. But to each his own. Be supercareful if you do.JR
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,713 Posts
imported post

oldtoys1961 wrote:
I dont mix it up mainly due to the fact that when I'm 100% alert its still tough to stay sharp and be on the lookout for idiots trying to run me over. I don't need anything else working against me.

Plus think about it, if you can handle a few beers and you have some. Whats going to happen if you get run over? Eat a pack of Mentos(The Fresh Maker) before the LEA gets there? If you go to the hospital they'll draw blood, put a cath in you and any alcohol will be looked at as you were out dui and they'll blame you whether its your fault or not.

Its just too dangerous out there amongst traffic to shave down alertness. But to each his own. Be supercareful if you do.JR
I agree with you oldtoys, plus, if I got a DUI my job is history. So I do consume alot of diet coke, water and tea:cooldevil:.......
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
529 Posts
imported post

drink at home, when the bike is parked in the garage.
I have lost more friends to drunks than anything else. If someone drinks and drives, they should get prison time, and if you kill someone while drunk driving, you get the needle and big sleep.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
75 Posts
imported post

I wont even drink one even if I am going to stay where I am for more then a hour. It is just not worth it.
 
1 - 20 of 86 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top