Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Started noticing late this summer that when it was really hot outside I could get a wiff of anti freeze. Level fine. Back in August, on a hot 92 degree day, drove about 100 miles at highway speed. Parked the bike and noticed a small baseball size spot under the radiatior area. Next morning it was dry and no stain (Rubbed my head) and drove the North Shore for 2 days.

Yesterday, 38 degrees, started the bike around 6 a.m. and got tied up doing something. Bike ran maybe 15-20 minutes. When I looked over, I actually saw the drip. Again, about baseball saize area. Saw the green antifreezethis time. Guage was a little over half way. Not really close to the red.

I have no idea when the PO changed the fluid. Could it just be that it's old and is boiling at a lower temp than it should? Then when I lean the bike on the stand it runs out the over-flow? (Is there a overflow?)

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
imported post

Remove one or both fans, then idle the bike until the Thermostate opens (abotu the 1/2 way point on the temp gage)... poke your head around behind the radiators, and look for the leak.

While you're in there, verify that the hoses are all fully-seated to the thermostate, and radiators.

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts
imported post

Most likely comeing from the little gromet at the top of the expansion tank knowen to cause this as the fluid re-enters the tank when hot and on the side stand no 4 in the fishe

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
imported post

Could be coming from the water pump weep hole also...Water pump may be going bad.

·
Pwhoever
3,161 Posts
imported post

There is also a chance that the tape on the inlets of the radiators were never removed. It is a well known problem. The tape will start to deteriorate and coolant can get past it. IIRC, It was placed on the inlets at the factory prior to painting to keep the inlets clean. In quite a few cases, it was never removed. The fix is to take the radiator hoses off and get the tape off. You may have to clean the inlets and then put the hoses back on.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

agnogel wrote:
Most likely comeing from the little gromet at the top of the expansion tank knowen to cause this as the fluid re-enters the tank when hot and on the side stand no 4 in the fishe

To check this take the left curved plastic cover off below handle bars to get to the top of reserve tank to check the gromet. Had that happen to mine. Top of gromet #4 cracks and leaks where elbow #2 goes in.

·
Wild Rhino - Canadian
590 Posts
imported post

pwhoever wrote:
There is also a chance that the tape on the inlets of the radiators were never removed. It is a well known problem. The tape will start to deteriorate and coolant can get past it. IIRC, It was placed on the inlets at the factory prior to painting to keep the inlets clean. In quite a few cases, it was never removed. The fix is to take the radiator hoses off and get the tape off. You may have to clean the inlets and then put the hoses back on.
+1

I have a 98 and found the tape was still there this past winter when I was into other repairs and found a small coolant leak at the radiator.

Good Luck

·
Premium Member
192 Posts
imported post

Your bike is the same as mine .Thats how mine stared . When it got hot I would get a wif of antifreeze. It developed in to leaking hose and leaking thermostat gasket. Now I can't find the water piping hose. Its been discontinued. I know I know I am the barer of bad news.

·
It aint rocket science
3,924 Posts
imported post

pwhoever wrote:
I disagree that the plastic sleeves were left on by accident. They were on too numerous model years.

My thinking is that it was designed to facilitate in the removal of hoses at some point. With the sleeves the hose was/is easily removed, though we know now the hose connection is prone to leakage with them.

I have seen other radiator hoses literally weld themselves to fittings requiring cutting the hose for removal. Not good when performing service work and having to buy new hoses.

JD

·
Pwhoever
3,161 Posts
imported post

That could be, I just remember reading about the cause many years ago in a copy of Wing World. The technical guy Howard Halasz provided the explaination and it seemed to be reasonable. You can find it HERE and about 2/3rds down towards the bottom of the page....

And I removed tthe tape from mine a couple years back as well.

·
Premium Member
192 Posts
imported post

Well I have taken my bike a part to repair the leek and found no tape on the inlets or out lets. The lines now just need to be replaced. They are leaking. That was my reality

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

could be simple...res elbo... cracked but it dont look cracked..go brass...cross over tube..not so hard a job...a gasket that has had it!!...cap? or
could be not simple....orings on the crossover pipes to the heads are finished..fun job...and touch and go.. to get them to finally seal like when the scoot was new

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

Bike...and Dennis wrote:
????????

Snowman, have we lost you?
Ha! Sorry guys. This is the first chance to hop back on. I appreciate all of the information. Some not so good of news, but my guess is that it won't be to hard to find if I strip it dowwn and let it run on thee side stand. Just curious though. "Can weak antifreeze simly get hot faster and boil over through the overflow?" It wil probably be Wednesday or Thursday before I can start tearing into it.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,586 Posts
imported post

I don't think old antifreeze gets hot any faster than new. In your climate, I'd think you'd want to keep the antifreeze pretty fresh though. Your symptoms are pretty similar to when my radiator cap failed. Cheapest, easiest and really the most likely culprit.

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
imported post

Gidday MNSNOWMAN , Peter here from Australia , I had a similar prioblem on my '88 and found it to be aftermarket hoses were a little bit too big for the radiator and that the bike shop did not replace the adjustable clamps (that were stretched) . when I replaced the clamps with new ones problem was solved. Kaos

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
imported post

Bike...and Dennis wrote:
I don't think old antifreeze gets hot any faster than new. In your climate, I'd think you'd want to keep the antifreeze pretty fresh though. Your symptoms are pretty similar to when my radiator cap failed. Cheapest, easiest and really the most likely culprit.
Thanks everyone. I will try to find a new cap, flush and fill with new antifreeze and go that route first.

Thanks!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.