Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Before I got my 1st bike I took the MRA trainig course and feel it helped quite a bit. I was thinking of taking the advanced course when I saw the Drive Like a Pro Training. This is offered in Sarasota, just a few miles from me here in Lakeland.

Reviewing his web site and watching some of the videos brought home some stuff about bike control that I have experienced but that were not really stressed in the MRA class.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

Well no one wants to say anything so I thought I would just say Hi. I would think any kind of driving course or school that has beneficial things in it like , defensive driving techniques, or not to fixate on something, those kinds of things would always have value.

Those that I think are for show only, are stuff like riding in circles in the cones, or all that kind of demo type riding. Many confuse that with safety on the road. That kind of thing is fun sometimes but has no real value on the road.

Defensive riding, courses that teach that, modulators and a relaxed attitude to never get there in a hurry, will greatly extend anyone's career on a motorcycle.

Kit

·
Premium Member
2,137 Posts
imported post

Hey lbill95
Don't forget the "Drive Like a NASCAR Pro Training". They teach the left turn technique over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
imported post

Just for fun, I will toss in my three cents. I did purchase the "Ride like a pro" video and also the "Ride the dragon like a pro" Just a couple viewings have improved my riding skills, bringing back to memory different techniques. Am I a Pro, not yet, but getting better. A little history may help here. I have been riding for 45 years, and have been a motor officer in Colorado. I have taken the various "Courses" and have had the motor course when in Colorado.

The whole concept is control. It is easy to go fast and in a straight line. We see fools on the road in cages and sport bikes do this every day. Being able to control the bike is where there is a lack. Again, you see that when they hit a curve or run into the back of someone.

Going slow, and in control, with the bike scraping the guards, with you controlling exactly where the bike is heading is the key. If you watch the video, you can see the applications applied to greater speed and defensive driving. The second half of the "Ride Like a Pro" shows the motor officer course. That's tuff.

Everything has its place. For me the videos were a good reminder. Also a place to re-start my skills practice.

Ride Safe
Doc

·
Premium Member
285 Posts
imported post

I have not been riding long, and would take the Drive Like a Pro Training, in a heart beat if it were offered any where close. Like others have said, anyone can go straight down the road, but when you have to manuver at slow speed or make a u turn it takes skill that only comes from practicing the correct techiques.

Like when you are sitting at a red light and you see the cager coming up behind you is not going to stop, it would be great if youcould take off quickly in the confined space and get out of there without falling over. And in order to go quickly you have to start off going slow, the techniquesofriding below 5 mphon the Drive Like a Pro Training would be like saving in some situations.

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,840 Posts
imported post

clarkjm wrote:
Just for fun, I will toss in my three cents. I did purchase the "Ride like a pro" video and also the "Ride the dragon like a pro" Just a couple viewings have improved my riding skills, bringing back to memory different techniques. Am I a Pro, not yet, but getting better. A little history may help here. I have been riding for 45 years, and have been a motor officer in Colorado. I have taken the various "Courses" and have had the motor course when in Colorado.

The whole concept is control. It is easy to go fast and in a straight line. We see fools on the road in cages and sport bikes do this every day. Being able to control the bike is where there is a lack. Again, you see that when they hit a curve or run into the back of someone.

Going slow, and in control, with the bike scraping the guards, with you controlling exactly where the bike is heading is the key. If you watch the video, you can see the applications applied to greater speed and defensive driving. The second half of the "Ride Like a Pro" shows the motor officer course. That's tuff.

Everything has its place. For me the videos were a good reminder. Also a place to re-start my skills practice.

Ride Safe
Doc
Well said Doc! :clapper: Anything you can do to learn to be in better control of your motorcycle is beneficial.

John

·
Premium Member
725 Posts
imported post

lbill95 wrote:
Before I got my 1st bike I took the MRA trainig course and feel it helped quite a bit.  I was thinking of taking the advanced course when I saw the Drive Like a Pro Training.  This is offered in Sarasota, just a few miles from me here in Lakeland.

Reviewing his web site and watching some of the videos brought home some stuff about bike control that I have experienced but that were not really stressed in the MRA class.
i would highly recommend taking the course. i met Jerry Palladino two years ago. he's extremely knowledgeable and a great trainer.
i was trained in a similar fashion by an orange county sheriff's dept trainer. i found out how many bad habits i had, then was taught how to ride much better.

Robin

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.