Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

So I am changing the final drive oil on my 93 Aspencade and the auto store had only one kind of SAE 80W. It says Castrol Hypoy C Gear oil 80W-90 is this the right stuff?

The old is already drained and it is BLACK. Probably first time in a long time. I have 44K on the bike now.

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thanks I will put it then. I think I should change again in 1000 miles or so, it is pretty gunky. Any thoughts on sea foam in the final drive. Will it have the same cleaning power as in gas and crankcase? Just wondering. I have bought a bottle of it but haven't used it yet

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
imported post

Although I've used seafoam in the fuel and crankcase, hadn't given a thought to adding it to the final drive.
I'd go with your original plan and change the fluid again after 1,000 miles; see what it looks like then. Fluid is cheap and the job is easy. Just my two cents.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

Seafoam shouldn't be necessary in the final drive. It must have take a long time for it to get that bad. I change mine every 10,000 miles or so, it always still looks new. Gear oil doesn't get dirty fast like engine oil, because it does not get contaminated by combustion gases that leak between the rings and cylinder walls.

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

FWIK, key word is Hypoid - you've got that - so you're good to go.

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Thanks everyone for the help. I will give a several 100 mile rinse and change it again. I can't believe someone would neglect it for that long especially after I discovered how easy it is to do. I did move exhaust out of the way but next time I can probably get it without, although it is a bit tight.

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

Sauceman wrote:
Thanks everyone for the help. I will give a several 100 mile rinse and change it again. I can't believe someone would neglect it for that long especially after I discovered how easy it is to do. I did move exhaust out of the way but next time I can probably get it without, although it is a bit tight.
I always drop the RHS exhaust. It makes the job so much easier. And in that case, a "tight" job is a potentially messy one.

YMMV.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.