Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have a 86 interstate and I have seen 80Wt oilwhich is from the rear wheel drive train leaking in the front of the swing arm, while riding sometimes I can smell it driping onto the muffler. Has anyone got any advise on doing this, or any tricks you might have come across while repairing yours? Any information would be helpfull.

Thanks

Snowman

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
imported post

It sounds like the drive shaft oil seal is leaking. This will allow the final drive oil to migrate to the u-joint boot and drip out. The seal is pretty easy to replace.

You will have to remove the rear wheel and the final drive unit (with the drive shaft attached). After you get the final drive unit removed, the drive shaft can be pulled out of the final drive by hand. You will see the seal on the drive shaft. Put the new seal on the shaft and reinstall it in the drive unit. The most frustrating part of the reinstall is lining the drive shaft splines up with the u-joint and pushing it back in place. It helps if you have someone use a long screwdriver to hold the u-joint up in position while you insert the drive shaft. Don't try to take a short cut by first installing the drive shaft into the u-joint and then putting the final drive in place. This will damage the seal and you will still have a leak.

The Honda part number for the seal is 91261-ME9-005. Don't forget to check the final drive oil level when the job is complete.

PM me if you have any questions.

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

as above it is the seal on the drive shaft.... the pimply kid behind the counter will have a hard time finding the part on the fisch it is listed under the "propellor shaft"

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
imported post

While you have the final drive out, it would be a good time to lube the final drive splines with some moly lube.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.