Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

If you've been following along my "just gonna put tires on turned into a half mechanical restoration thread" you'll get this.

Took the rear drive off to lube all splines, put it back on (the shaft slipped RIGHT back on first try) but then decided I shoulda greased the trans output spline. Took the rear drive back off, greased the spline, and then REALLY struggled for 45 mins to get the shaft back into the u-joint. Slipped the boot off the swingarm to try to line up the u joint and shaft. That worked. Then struggled to get the boot back onto the swingarm. Got it on, celebrated by standing up and stretching, decided to take one more look and saw a cut in the boot. D#%n!! Looks like I cut it by rotating the u joint with the spline off the trans, that let the joint fall and cut the boot.

3 Questions

1) It appears that it's possible to move the u-joint back off the trans output shaft, point the u-joint spline toward you, and then carefully slide on a new boot. The driveshaft is not on yet, of course. I was thinking duct tape or something (maybe cardboard sleeve) on the trans output shaft to protect the new boot from those sharp edges during install. Anyone put a boot on with the swingarm in place? This tire job has gone far enough - I don't want to remove the swingarm. I know, I know, I could check the swingarm bearings but there is no play, the bike has relatively low miles, and I want to RIDE it. EDIT - I tried this with the old boot - not too difficult.

2) I've read about a clip in the u-joint that retains the driveshaft? Is there one? I don't see a groove in the shaft for it. EDIT - I was asking about a clip at the FRONT of the driveshaft where it engages the ujoint spline- I know there is a clip in thefront to retain the spring.

3) The Clymers says you can leave out the snap ring on the big end (rear)of the driveshaft - says it's there for assembly purposes only to hold the shaft into the rear driveand to leave it out. That right? EDIT - still don't know, I'll probably leave it in to be safe, and it makes the assembly easier to handle.

Thanks, Bob

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
imported post

Hi Bob. My DS has a circlip and grovve on it. I suppose you could leave the clip off, the shaft or UJ can't really go anywhere. I put mine back in with a circlips pliers as it was easy enough.
I used a party hat cone to put a new ruber on mine, turned it inside out and greased up the cone well and slid the boot over, had to be careful not to rip the small end of the boot.

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Found a boot at the local dealer and got the rear end all back together tonight. As bad as things went last night they went perfect tonight. The boot nearly jumped on by itself, I used a long thin screwdriver to manipulate the u-joint from the front end while I coaxed the driveshaft back on (30 seconds max), the boot slipped over the swingarm with ease all 360 degrees. The engine side pops back on easily. New rear brakes, final drive lube, etc. Tomorrow bleed all hydraulics and put the rear plastics back on and take her for a spin. Bob

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

rkjjeep wrote:
Found a boot at the local dealer and got the rear end all back together tonight. As bad as things went last night they went perfect tonight. The boot nearly jumped on by itself, I used a long thin screwdriver to manipulate the u-joint from the front end while I coaxed the driveshaft back on (30 seconds max), the boot slipped over the swingarm with ease all 360 degrees. The engine side pops back on easily. New rear brakes, final drive lube, etc. Tomorrow bleed all hydraulics and put the rear plastics back on and take her for a spin. Bob
Some days things just don't want to work. One of the nice things about being retired is that if I get a day like that I just put down the tools and go do something else and try again later.

·
Premium Member
623 Posts
imported post

Well Paul, now I know how you've racked up over 3000! posts. Retirement sounds too good to be true.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.