Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 1987 aspy and I just replaced the final drive on it. noticed it was leaking fluid and so I removed the rear wheel and swapped out the final drive with 1 from my parts bike (86 interstate- which had no leaks). After reassembling with a new driveshaft seal I noticed the fluid was actually one of the rear shocks leaking. Replaced the leaking shock and filled the final drive to the bottom of the fill hole(per repair manual specs). After a few miles have noticed gear lube coming out of the rubber dust boot on the drive shaft. When assembling I noticed that fluid passes through the center of the shaft coming out of the final drive and I guessed that the new drivesahft seal would keep the gear lube in. obviously its not so I am looking for suggestions on how to get it to quit leaking. I read somewhere in the manual about tapping the shaft into the final drive but am not sure about that. You guys got any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
I am not experienced to tell you about the seals I just had some of my replace but I do know if you overfill it, it will come out of the vent hole on the top of the final drive.

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
The seal that prevents the lube from leaking at the boot is physically on the drive SHAFT. Remove the assy, check the seal and pack the pinion flange with moly 60.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.