1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

hi has any one had a driveshaft UJ go what were the

symptomsdid it wear the splinesof the UJ or just

the joint its self was there vibration in the pegs?

·
Older and Wiser
1,734 Posts
imported post

I had one go bad when the rubber boot fell apart and I didn't check it for over a year. The UJ went in the swivel pins. Theres little needle roller bearings in it and they collapsed and I got a terrible clunk when taking off as the drive took up the extra slack. Didn't get vibration though. The mechanic tested the UJ by putting the bike in gear and moving the wheel. It moved anout 14" before the joint would budge! New one solved the problem, they can't be rebuilt I was told.

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

I seen one wear for similar reasons (neglect, not checking the boot) and it rattled really bad. Don't remember any vibration, just clonk bang and rattle.

·
Premium Member
316 Posts
imported post

I know of a GL1200 one that gave up. It started making a clicking noise similar to that made when a CV joint goes bad on a car. The boot was intact on the 1200, I think it was just the high miles that did it. The particular bike had 176,000 miles on the clock.

·
Premium Member
1,875 Posts
imported post

Yup...sure did. Returning home from a 6,000klm Yukon trip, started off as a little tick in 5th gear when it wasn't under load. (balanced enertia) Gradualy started doing it in 4th, 3rd, and so on to the point where it was a constant bang. At the timeI thought it was my tranny, and I was willing todrive her to her grave. After 22 hours of straight riding it finaly snapped about a 1/2 hour from home. Once again, I thought it was tranny. I was relieved to see the universal had snapped when we pulled her apart.

I had symptons prior to my tripwhich I didn't notice until after it was fixed. After fixing it, what was missing was a kind of a feeling..vibration.. through the bike. On my usual route home from work, I take a curve that has a bit of a dip to it and since I replaced the shaft this feeling had disappeard. Hard to describe it....sort of a viabration and a sound I can't describe, but very very subtle. At the time I just thought of it as normal as it was intermittent, like I said, where I really notice the difference was on that one curve coming home from work. I will definitely recognize it again though. I had no problems with the splines. Threw in another shaft and I was off to Florida. I believe age was the problem with mine, well over 300,000klm on it.

Kyle

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
imported post

Just goes to show ya,,,, We ride the best bikes in the world... Show me a Hog that's gone that many miles...??? I dare ya!!! :cool:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.