Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

:waving:Looking to here from all who's bike didn't come with either. My 91 Interstate didn't come with. I'm planning to add sometime yet this year. I've read through here of bulbs burning out on corner lights. Of replacing bulb sockets to convert over. Now looking for input.

If you have installed some.

Where? Why? Pro's and Con's.

Thanks to all who reply in advance.

Cal

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
imported post

I put them on my friend's Interstate too. Very easy job, but I can't see an advantage for having them.

·
Premium Member
465 Posts
imported post

Hi Cal

My '88 came with the cornering lights that I just converted to full time. I stillneed toput a switch on them so that I can choose when they are on. One day when Mrs. Hogan increases my allowance, I may buy the proper driving light replacements. I a little worried from what I've read here that some have had problems with sockets melting running thecornering lights. Havent' had a chance yet to run them for long periods.

Below is a clip of an article about the advantages of the triangular light effect that makes you more visible from http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/ (some other good reading here also)

Point #1 is the real reason I converted mine, but I'd like to believe #4.

Driving Lights

Extra lights can serve several functions on a motorcycle.
  • 1.They can be used as marker lights to increase your visibility to on-coming traffic. A motorcycle with a headlight and a pair of driving lights mounted high or low makes an unusual triangle of light that catches more attention than just a headlight. If this is your primary purpose, color helps catch attention, so you would consider yellow or orange lights.
  1. 2.Red, orange, and yellow light penetrates fog far better than blue light. This is the same effect as the one which makes the sky appear blue and sunsets appear red. Blue light scatters 16 times as much as red light in atmospheric water, and red light penetrates 16 times as far. Orange or yellow wide-dispersion fog lamps can dramatically increase your range of vision in fog. Red lights would be best for this purpose, but it's illegal (and stupid) to put red lights on the front of your vehicle.
  2. 3.White lights augment your headlights, giving you extra illumination that adds to your safety margin in very dark places.
  3. 4.Finally, if you have a lot of lights, you might get invited to participate in parades where cute young girls will wave at you and you can run down your battery and possibly overheat your motor or generator.
I've taken off my rotor covers (cause I like the look better) and have been thinking about the caliper mounted projection lights. But we all have dreams.

Ride safe and be visible.

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
imported post

Hi! I have a 001500SE, and the cornering lights had been replaced with full time halogen bulbs/sockets. Works great, and are bright.The replacement bulbs are going away, but I found a good source for now. I say go for it! I don't care for the true "cornering" lites, as they point kinda straight down on a two wheeler, and mine is a trike, so it did'nt matter. I suspect they were converted before it was triked. Have fun! jimsjinx

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

Cal wrote:
:waving:Looking to here from all who's bike didn't come with either. My 91 Interstate didn't come with. I'm planning to add sometime yet this year. I've read through here of bulbs burning out on corner lights. Of replacing bulb sockets to convert over. Now looking for input.

If you have installed some.

Where? Why? Pro's and Con's.

Thanks to all who reply in advance.

Cal

A fair bit of time/expense to go through for a (IMHO) rather useless set of lights. :baffled:

Only use for them is they will allow you to be seen better by oncoming traffic.

When installed/used as intended(cornering lights), they don't really illuminate very much, as the bike is leaned over in the corner and lights up too far to the side and immediately in front of the cowling to be of much/any use.

I think you'd be better served with an aux set of driving lights, mounted higher up on the bike. You'll still get the increased visibility to oncoming traffic, plus you'll have the added benefit of substantially lighting up the road ahead of you, at night, greatly increasing your visibility/safety.

My set up cost me roughly $70CDN, including the chrome light bar, but I see Gary at Cyclemax has the whole affair on for a very good price of $60 - http://www.cyclemaxohio.com/inc/sdetail/760

Dusty

Thanks for pointing out the bad link, da_bull :waving: ;)

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
imported post

I agree with Dusty, a set of driving lites are a greater benefit & less hassle.:action::action:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.