Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heres the style of lamp.

First off, I ordered these... The M16 version.
EBAY

The lamp that I got, next to an original.

The fit beautifully in the original housing. Below is one led side (left) and one halogen (on the right side). Note the slight color difference. The listing I chose offered a color choice, I went with what they called warm white. Close to original.

Now with both switched out...

You can also see the bluewhite leds that I put in the cornering lamps. (10 watts/side). The driving lamps are 12watts/side.

Between these two changes, I figger I have freed up approximately 200 watts in the system. Not bad...

I left them on for 5 minutes, and the housing isnt hot to the touch. If they show some warmth after a longer period, I will probably ventilate the housing.

link for the cornering lamps...

link to driving lamps

·
Administrator
27,951 Posts
If you put some HIDs in the headlights you will have something there.
The cornering lamp LEDs is a nice upgrade, could be done and still use the original wiring without worrying about overloading the circuit.

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the fat ring on the cornering lights has to come off, but without it they fit perfectly into the existing hole. and yes, I did use the existing wiring.

·
Premium Member
3,073 Posts

Looks good. Now change your position lights (194) to LED and you will have a mostly LED front end. Someone on the site installed amber LED's in the position lights and it looked nice.

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yep thats coming. When I have the dash apart to do those leds, I will do the cornering lights. Also plan on the saddlebag lights.

·
Answer Seeker & Kibitzer
634 Posts
Consider the color of the lens !

I changed my cornering lights (added kit on an Aspencade) to LEDs. I used AMBER behind clear bulbs..Looks good at night but daylight shows a "hot spot" where the amber is behind the clear lens.

Notice the same thing on the position lights...again at night it looks good with the AMBER instead of the white..but during the day --not so much....

I also installed driving lights - but those are 55 watt each side for lighting up the roadsides at night as I live in deer country and commute in the fall in the dark...

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
my main purpose is to maximize the "to be seen" aspect. I am also considering a rotating red light mounted to the top of my helmet
, along with a pair of flashing arrow neon signs mounted to the saddle bags. Each arrow would ideally be about three feet across...

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
My wife is real partial to those LED lightbars on top of the State Cruisers around here.
Says that way I am visible.
I just upgraded to a Poorboy on my 84 so now I have the watts for that stuff and definitely need some accessory lights out front there.

Oh that and bubble wrap.

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
Hey UBar.... Where did you get that light kit, the one mounted up on your forks by the chrome fork protectors? Those look great. Subtle install look but great lights for visability:).

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
They were on the bike when I got it. Not sure of the source, but, these at cyclemax are similar.

The only diff I can see is the mount includes a bolt that isnt used on mine. its possible that this was just eliminated and mounted directly. As done there is only up/down adjust, no side to side.

·
Premium Member
689 Posts
those look like the same lights I had and they caused trouble with static on the radio and cb have you experienced this at all? A freind on a 1500 had the same problem, and we have reluctantly changed back to convectional lights.

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts
my main purpose is to maximize the "to be seen" aspect. I am also considering a rotating red light mounted to the top of my helmet
, along with a pair of flashing arrow neon signs mounted to the saddle bags. Each arrow would ideally be about three feet across...
Go, go gadget Goldwing!

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
those look like the same lights I had and they caused trouble with static on the radio and cb have you experienced this at all? A freind on a 1500 had the same problem, and we have reluctantly changed back to convectional lights.
No whine. The bulbs that do that have a fan built in. These do not. CB is as it should be.

·
Banned
1,234 Posts
the big ones are LEDs I found on Fleabay, the others are Optronic fog/driving lights from walmart that I replaced with LED bulbs from Lowes. and of course my Trucklite headlight.

and people still say they don't see me :?:wtf:

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.