Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Does anyone have a recomendation for auxillary driving lights for my 1985 GL1200 Interstate. I put a couple of halogen chrome driving lights on late last year and it seems with the lights on, my charging system is running full out to keep the system charged. (I bought them because they were rectangular just like the headlight). So I'm looking for something with low voltage draw. Yet still can be seen by other drivers, and be usefull at night.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
689 Posts
imported post

on my 86 aspy, I was looking for light that would help being seen.

I brought two halogen bullet lights from cyclemax, and mounted them on the bottom of the engine guards.

they came with 50 watt bulbs, I replaced these with a 3 cluster led bulbs which only draw 3.5 watt each, to give 25 watt light each side of the bike.

I put the lights through a relay and a 2 amp switch, mounted on the handlebars.

they give a very white light during the day, and I'm told can be seen at about 300 yards. and light up the immediate front of the bike at night, just out in front of tire.

very hard to tell on the voltmeter, what the draw is its so small, at a guess, its less than a volt, i don't have any noticeable drop in voltage, at idle or when running.

good luck,

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

those led lights might be really bright, but i dont think those are really useful other than a safety device to be seen. not much of a driving light

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
imported post

popellis wrote:
Does anyone have a recomendation for auxillary driving lights for my 1985 GL1200 Interstate. I put a couple of halogen chrome driving lights on late last year and it seems with the lights on, my charging system is running full out to keep the system charged. (I bought them because they were rectangular just like the headlight). So I'm looking for something with low voltage draw. Yet still can be seen by other drivers, and be usefull at night.

Thanks
You could change the bulbs to 35Watt it might help the charging system as to whether they are any good for driving lights not sure.

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
imported post

I have a couple of 35 watt driving lights on my GL1000 and they really help at night on those dark mountain roads. I can see the corners coming!

I used the Kuraykin mini bullets.

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Thanks all for your suggestions. I think at first I will take these apart and see if I can't just change the halogen bulbs out and replace with something in a lower wattage range. If I can't then I guess I will look for different lights.

·
Premium Member
1,365 Posts
imported post

Want more light, less power draw? This is what I did.
Most driving lights come with 55 watt H3 bulbs. You might want to look at these. Pricey but draw 35 watts each and put out 70 watts of light each. Saves (40 watts)on power draw and gives more light (30 watts) than two H3 55 watt bulbs. I have them on my 1983 GL 1100A and they work well for me, lot of light down the road.

I ordered these. Fifth one down: http://www.bikerhiway.com/headlight-products-60/piaa-high-visibility-headlight-bulbs-65/

http://www.amotostuff.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?store_code=AML&screen=PROD&product_code=70623

I also just received an order for a unitfor my 1983 GL 1100A that dims the driving lights along with the headlight. Also saves more power on dim. I have had this on my 1989 GL 1500 since early 1990s and love it.

http://www.kriss.com/drivinglight.php

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
imported post

The great thing about these lights are they have a self contained ballast.

it's also a slow ignition ballast which limits the oower initial draw to something the gl1200 charge system can handle. It takes a few more seconds to get full illumination, but its worth it.

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Wow

Thanks guys for the tips and leads , for now I think I will look at the bulbs. Money is a little tight right now.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.