Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Getting ready to throw some extra lights on The Interstate. I noticed that most are around 55 Watt. I still have the stator on and will not be Changing to the Poor boy system until this winter. My Voltmeter reads right at 14 when running. I took a Light bar off the rear because I will be doing a trailer hook up for next summer. The Extra lights will be switched separately. I do not have a clue about This whole :?watt amp conversion deal but will doing this overload the stator?

·
Senior Guru
3,589 Posts
imported post

If you ever have to ride around a city in slow moving traffic with the 55 watt lights on, you might drain the battery. Can you replace the bulbs with 35w or 18w?

·
Premium Member
2,523 Posts
imported post

I know I seen somewhere what the electrics to keep the motor running and the battery charged is in watts. I don't recall what that was :) I do recall figuring it up on a GL1200 aspy with stock lights that you end up with about 100 watts in excess at speed (probably anything above 2500 rpm). That means 2 55 watt driving/fog lights will actually consume some of your battery voltage. If these lights don't get ran too often the battery will probably stay charged. If you run them all the time you would need to keep the bike on a charger when not ridding it.

Converting your running, turn, tail, and brake lights to LEDs can give you back enough watts to handle that extra 10 watts from the driving lights. You will have to use a different turn signal flasher, your auto cancel wont work, and you will need to disable your brake light warning on the dash.

35 watt bulbs are probably your easiest solution. Running one 55 watt driving light may do the trick for you. You could probably also get away with running 1 100 watt driving light. Although I would only use it when running at speed.

There are some nice LED driving lights available now but for something the size of a normal 55 watt driving light they run about $175. Before I spent that much money I would consider going to an external alternator.

This is assuming you want the lights to work so you can see better not just so some one can see you better.

Oh yea, once you add your trailer you will need to add in the extra watts from those tail lights. Think running lights are typically 5 whats with stop/turn getting around 25 or 28 watts.

·
Premium Member
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Yep Only plan on using them When I am On the slab or running at speed. May get a couple of those smaller ones. Won't be putting on the trailer until or about the same time as the Poor boy conversion. Thanks for the answers folks.

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

I have 55 w (2) on my 1200 and you won't have enough power even at speed for prolonged use.

I turned mine on today to adjust them then just turned the key off, forgot to hit the toggle switch for the lights. My son and I went for a ride up 66 which can get pretty twistie in spots and seldom can I get out of third, so I was getten on pretty good in some spots but never slower than 30 MPH and 2500 RPMs. The trip out was ok but the trip back (about 20 miles) It wouldn't get on it as well coming out of the corners and I could here something rattling like lifters, and every once in a while (3 minutes or so) I would here something snap on or off. After a while, I noticed the voltage meter down to 11.6 volts which I immediately thought of the lights, so I turned them off and everything came back to normal including the pick up power of the bike and the sounds disappeared. I don't know what the sound were, but te snapping on or off sound I heard the other night when I was using the lights, after about 15 minutes, heard the snap, the head light flickered and all was normal, accept the power draw was immense.

·
Administrator
26,181 Posts
imported post

I have 2 55 watt lights on my 81 1100 standard that my son has been using for a couple of months and he leaves them on all the time, no problem so far. It doesn't have as many lights as a 1200 interstate but also has a lower output stator.

·
Premium Member
472 Posts
imported post

do the math. your headlight uses 55 watts on low beam,your running lights are 55 watts each thats 165 watts. this doesnot count what the rest of the bike requires. the alternator produces about 30 watts just where are you going to get the power from? unless you put a conversion on the bike it will not work. walklabout :)

·
Premium Member
3,073 Posts

·
Premium Member
689 Posts
imported post

Hello,

50watt LED will work fine,as the wattage draw is very small, however some do cause interference with the radio, I was never able to resolve this.

two 35 watt will work just fine, 50 watt, is too much for the system to handle.

install a relay with the lights, this will help the electrical system also

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

on my 1200 interstate i installed a set of walmart/autozone driving lamps, then removed the 55watt h3 halogen bumb, and installed a set of 35 watt HID Xenon bumlb and together instead of drawing 110 watts now only draw 70watts, also i replaced the main headlamp h4 55watt bulb for a 35 watt HID xenon bulb, with the three lamps turned on i am only drawing 105 watts.

·
Bob Cassel
386 Posts
imported post

Without any intention of dropping my wattage use, I replaced my H4 Silverstar headlamp and assembly with a 6024 Silverstar sealed beam.

WOW! Not only do I now have much better light ahead, to the sides and right in front of the bike, but the amperage draw is less with the sealed beam.

According to the specs on both, the H4 Silverstar takes 5.1 amps and the 6024 takes only 4.2. That's .8 amps or +/- 10.8 watts right there.

I can support this with my voltmeter now reads 14.1 ALL the time! It was showing 13.8 to 14 (flashing) before.

So, I got more light, better pattern and a sealed beam for less wattage.

Can't argue with results!

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
imported post

I just installed a pair of 35 watt driving lights - bought from Princess Auto in Calgary - total of $19.95 - XT861 Extreme Series - just make sure the back of the box stipulates "35 Watt" - I noticed the same part number for a set of 55 watt lights.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.