Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I'm also adding some driving lights to my Wing. My question is how big can I go without really taxing the Alternator. Its a 90 GL1500 with the stock alternator.

I'm thinking 2 x 55w but I just looked at 2 big honking 100 W.

I will be running a GPS, XM Radio and Radar Detector.

I also have an electric vest but I do not envision the lights and the vest be able to be on at the same time. (The vest is a Grosjean vest controlled by a heat troller).

I will be monitoring the Voltage of the bike as I go. (The passport 8500 has a voltmeter inside it)

thanks

steve

·
The Irish Crew
1,248 Posts
imported post

Stick with the 55's. 100 watts uses double the power but doesn't give out double the light. Your light switches will be toasted in record time. Even 1500s with just the headlight on run down the battery in city riding. Fit a switch and only use the extra lights on the open road when the alternator is working hard.

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

poffy74 wrote:
I'm thinking 2 x 55w but I just looked at 2 big honking 100 W.
Dont touch them. :whip:

:weightlifter::18red::weightlifter:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

poffy74 wrote:
I'm also adding some driving lights to my Wing. My question is how big can I go without really taxing the Alternator. Its a 90 GL1500 with the stock alternator.

steve
If you're planning on the driving lights to make you more visible, why not go with a heldlight modulator? They get more attention and don't load down your electrical system. If you want driving lights for night riding, they really don't add that much anyway, just fill in a little bit close in, nowhere near the poop of the headlight.

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

I use driving lights at night. I tend to wind up in the middle of nowhere all over the U.S. in the middle of the night. Be it Montana or Maine there are lots of critters that like to jump out at you. (Last year I found myself in both places)

I set up driving lights that will put their lights off to the side of the road basically light up 9 0'clock to 3 0'clock. I've picked up many Deer that way and the lights tend to freeze them where they are instead of instride on the road.(I have no scientific data though). It worked great on the ST, except getting yelled at by the cops a few times.

As for the headlight modulators I don't like them. I had one on my ST and eventually took it out. I find it distracts drivers too much and they forget where they are. (i.e. that shock of thinking its a cop behind them) However, thats my personal opinion from my own experiences. I prefer to rig up LED's to be seen better during the day. I find that Truck Stops (the big ones) sell all sorts of LEDs. The Amber ones work great.

Also on my ST I had all sorts of strobe lights. Their purpose was if I ever had to pull over to the side of the above said middle of no here dark roads or an emergency situation. I did on a few occasions wind up using them to get some Left Lane Bandits out of the way. The ST didn't have any Hazard lights so I felt this necessary.

I just picked up a set of 55w Pilots that look like a set of PIAA's. I'm going to see how they mount up. If they mount up nice I'll go with them on the light bar and then add some amber LED's to the crash bars.

STeve
90 GL1500

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.