Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Deceased 1/2017
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I am wanting to put a set of driving lights on my 86 SEi trike and have a couple of questions about the charging system. I have a long history in car audio and am accustomed to using relays for anything that has a large current draw, such as driving lights. What I am wondering is if I use a set of regular driving lights along with a relay setup, will it over tax the charging system by having it pull the 12v straight from the battery or would it be better to find a set of led lights and use them.
I am wanting to put these on for extra light at night and I'm also wanting to add some led accent lights as well.

Ya'all have been so much help by posting on other threads things that I have had questions about but didn't know where to look til I found this web site.

Thanks in advance for all your help!!!:waving:

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

Hello, the charging system on the 1200 is very limited i mean theres no much juise left for big draw addons and being fuel injected model you dont want to steal any power from the electronics.. most driving lamps come with 55W halogen bulbs, you can change them to 35 watts. change all your light bulbs to leds and or install a 35w hid xenon kit on the headlamp.

·
Premium Member
3,634 Posts
imported post

The 1200's are limited on output but you can safely add driving lights and not have too much worry if you do these things....

As William_86 said, change the 55w driving lights to 35w.

Change your stock running/brake lights over to LED bulbs. You can do the turn signals also, but since they are not used that much in the grand scheme of things, the regular bulbs won't tax the system and you won't have to install an electronic flasher.

LED's are a great alternative as theyhave avery low power draw. For an example, a 5w bulb is equal to 5000mA. An LED to replace the running/brake lights will pull 115mA when using the brakes.

·
Premium Member
689 Posts
imported post

hello,

yep, use a relay, you can switch it to the auxiliary nuts at the top of the fuse box, which will come on when the key is turned on, I also added a handlebar switch, this gives me total control over off and on.

good luck,

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
imported post

The standard 1200 Aspencade/Interstate stator puts out 360W @ 3K. The SEi/LTD stator puts out 476W @ 3K. that should give you a starting point..The LEDs are AWSOME! They are getting cheaper as well..change out every light you can.

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
imported post

the sei should have no problems running two 55w driving lights,at least mine doesn't after hardwiring the stator and regulator connections,solid 14.5 above 2500 rpms,for better nights lighting you should consider installing a hid bi-xenon setup though,not as easy as installing driving lights but all and all better lighting all around,the whiter light penetrates the darkness a lot better and uses less power than the stock headlight does

·
Premium Member
724 Posts
imported post

LEDs

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.