Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I dropped in the garage, Did the damage!!! I broke the left mirror off the mounts, cracked the wind shield, and cracked my trunk 6 inches.

I hit selves in my garage.

Any advise for me to fix it myself???

I will try to post pictures.

·
Premium Member
12,790 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

ABS the black stuff used to glue black pipe together. Some shave up some ABS pipe stuff mix it in the ABS glue and apply. Some just use the Abs black glue..apply to inside of the crack on the inside of the piece..clamp together and let it sit for a few hours. Some then reinforce with a piece of ABS plastic glued over the crack..not pretty but it does reinforce. Several threads and how to's here someplace..about reinforcing the rear trunk at the mounting points. gives the overview of how to do it.

·
Premium Member
8,921 Posts
imported post

Also you can use a soldering iron and melt the plastic back together and sand it smooth, just like welding metal, but with lower temps, plastic melts easy. They also sell plastic welders at Harbor frieght if you want to go that route.

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

Snorebrother dropped his 1200 a while back on their way up to my place. Busted the black plastic arm right in the middle. The screw base was still on the bike.
I liberally applied black ABS cement (none other will do) to both sides of the break contact areas. Then I wrapped it stiffly with stretchy self adhering tape to keep the unusual shape tightly together. Gave it a full 24 hours and unwrapped it. It was like new and was still on the bike when he sold it for his 1500 later that year.

I've never been a fan of soldering iron joint welding except for tacking to do something more substantial. I like to get things back together with black ABS cement and either reinforce it with a bridging patch using black ABS cement or one of my VHB repair patches or plates, depending on the case at hand.

Not having seen anything about your bike breakage, I am unable to recommend much.

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
imported post

I am not saying that the black plastic ABS cement does not work. I have never tried it. I have used this stuff for all plastic repairs for years without a failure. I have glued steel, aluminum, and brass to plastic to reinforce it.I have used fiberglass mat to reinforce the backside of repairs.I have a plastic sidecover from an 850 Suzuki that has been patched with this stuff that has to be 10 years old. It cures hard.

It does not say ABS on the package, but it works.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
imported post

sorry to hear they are heavy bikes ,how far down is your floor?how did the winshield break? just asking .

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

My bikes have taken a few nap's in the shop.
Wilf

But there not sneeky about it. They do it when i'm bloody well there!!

·
Premium Member
675 Posts
imported post

wilf wrote:
My bikes have taken a few nap's in the shop.
Wilf

But there not sneeky about it. They do it when i'm bloody well there!!
I can beat that............MINE's done it with me ON it. Let that be a lesson to leave the front brake alone while doing a u turn! Only took me three times to pick up on that - slow learner in my old age!

T.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.