Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Doing springs, Gold Valves and steering head bearings. 199 Aspencade SE? Gold anniversary. 45,000 miles.

I dropped one shrader valve into the Bermuda Triangle. Can't find it. I took off the sides below the glove compartments but still no luck. I also dropped 2 washers that go between the spacer on one fork. Forks are done except the missing washers and shrader valve. Any help as to where they went? The cap to one air valve has been in there for a while now.

David

Waiting for steel braided brake lines and then its done!

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I have learned a few things.

I did not know it was a needle bearing that holds the caliper on big bolt.
One fork anti dive was not working, it was missing parts.
Looks like it had progressive springs in it already unless the stock ones are progressive wound.

The steering head will "lock" or stay centered with the forks off. I am glad I bought then kit. This is a pet peeve of mine.

I bought a new 1981 Suzuki GS650. One of the selling features was tapered roller bearings in the steering head and swing arm. After a few thousand miles I could feel a click in the steering when I hit the brakes. I took it back. They "Adjusted" the bearings. A few thousand more miles it did it again. Service guy told me bearings were seating. I told him properly set tapered roller bearings don't seat. He said there was paint in the frame and the races were settling in. A few thousand miles later the steering seized up on my way home from work. I took it apart, There was no grease in the bearings at all. They were rusted. I was refused warranty because I took it apart.

·
Administrator
26,181 Posts
Just get a washer the same OD as the spring and a tire shrader valve. Way more trouble than it's worth to find those pieces.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I found everything except one washer. Going to the hardware store on another motorcycle. It’s 85 here so far. Looks like a good time to blow out the radiators.
Found lots of loose bolts on this adventure.
David

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Forks are done. Steering head is out, lower bearing is off the stem. top race is out. I usually use a welder to remove a blind race. Don’t have one here today. Do I need a bent punch?

Job is to br continued tomorrow. Dirt track racing tonight with the wife.
And it’s 91 here.
David

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,716 Posts
Where is "here" ??

·
Administrator
26,181 Posts
Forks are done. Steering head is out, lower bearing is off the stem. top race is out. I usually use a welder to remove a blind race. Don’t have one here today. Do I need a bent punch?

Job is to br continued tomorrow. Dirt track racing tonight with the wife.
And it’s 91 here.
David
I used a die grinder to grind a notch just above the lower race so I could get a punch against it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts