Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi guys,

One more question for those of experience, from one who hasa little. I have finally determined that I'm getting exhaust leaks between the manifold and headers, so I got some gaskets. I started on the left side, got all the manifold nuts off with NO trouble (go figure), removed the clamp from the crossover, and the two nuts that hold the rear of the exhaust to the bracket near the foot peg. Now, what did I miss? The exhaust would not come off. I was afraid to pull too hard on the crossover area. Heck, at one point I was lying under the bike feet on center stand and rear tire, ready to pull for all I was worth!

I've looked it over and cannot find any bolts or nuts that I missed. So....what's the secret to removing the exhaust?

Jack

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

There aren't any more Jack. If you mean the exhaust just won't drop from the headers then it might just need a bit of help from a crowbar.

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Hi,

I didn't even get to the header part, it was the crossover tube that gave me trouble. Do I just need to grab the rubber mallet, some WD-40 and a torch to get it apart? :)

Jack

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
imported post

Jack, WD40 and twisting one side. Get someone to hold the other side while you twist, that should get you started and the pipes will split apart. It's always the same story when pulling the pipes apart.

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Twisting? Hadn't occurred to me! I'll give it ashot. Thanks again!

Jack

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
imported post

I just changed mine out yesterday too. On the GL1100 don't forget that the engine crash bars also have to be removed too. Take a friendly word of advice, if all you are going to do is put in new gasketsremove the front exhaust manifold bolts on both sides and then just pry them down . Then just put them back up. But for any other work, I always save myself a ton of problems by just going ahead and removing the whole exhaust sytem completely. While I'm there I also get to thuroughly clean them up. It took me a good 3 hours but man my bike sounds so much better now. Good luck

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

grayglennsr wrote:
I just changed mine out yesterday too. On the GL1100 don't forget that the engine crash bars also have to be removed too. Take a friendly word of advice, if all you are going to do is put in new gasketsremove the front exhaust manifold bolts on both sides and then just pry them down . Then just put them back up. But for any other work, I always save myself a ton of problems by just going ahead and removing the whole exhaust sytem completely. While I'm there I also get to thuroughly clean them up. It took me a good 3 hours but man my bike sounds so much better now. Good luck

Thanks, Mr. Glenn. On my 83 the crash bars aren't attached or in the way of the exhaust at all. I need to pull my starter as well as put innew gaskets, so they should really come off entirely.

You say you cleaned your pipes, which I'd like to do, too. I assume you meant that you cleaned the insides - how did you do that?

Thank you,

Jack

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Hey grayglennsr :waving: Welcome to the best forum on the net. :clapper:Visit often enjoy the banter and get your goldwing problems sorted by the experts. :clapper:

:leprechaun::18red::leprechaun:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.