Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Had owenershio of my 1500 about 48 hours when lo and behold I dropped it at a residentail intersection. Drop is to harsh - gently set it down is more accurate. But I did learn that I can't ride this bike like I did the Kawa 900 cruiser I rode before. Any of you long time riders have methods or precautions that would be helpful. I am really looking forward to get some miles on my '88.

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
imported post

Well now you have that part over with !
Did the same thing in my driveway second day I had mine. So have most of the rest of us that will admit it.
There's a couple of very good videos on youtube about how to pick one up w/o killing yourself. Take a look for the next time.
Other than keeping it vertical when stopped, not much else to be said.
Once it's moving, you'll like it.

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

:laughing: We've all been there, so don't worry about that. The 1st time I dropped mine was right in front of a restaurant at a gas station, right in front of the large windows with the patrons all seated by the windows, getting a good view. :doh:

You'll get used to the weight with more time spent on the bike, practicing stops/starts, slow speed maneuvers, just like the rest of us. Although the weight/size of them are a bit intimidating at 1st, you'll soon discover just how agile these 'Big Bertha's' really are, once you're under way ......... and after you've practiced some more. ;)

Cheers, Dusty

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,258 Posts
imported post

If a person has any issues, they are usually at slow or no speed as these bikes are so stable when moving.
My 'tipping incident' was in the morning when I got to work in view of our employee deck-- no witnesses! I only weigh about 155 lbs and I picked it up- check the videos mentioned for tips.
As a side note, when mine tipped, one of my supervisors' Harley was next to it- missed it by an inch with the top of my windscreen, but the antennae hit his seat and bent almost 90*. Not a mark on his bike though. And yes, I told him to look very carefully and he did.
Ride and practice (well, don't practice dropping it. Once is enough).

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
imported post

I dropped mine twice in the first couple months of owning her and probably two of the best lessons I've had. When backing or moving slowly from a start be sure to not turn the bars too sharp and make sure you have a strong grip on the bars while doing so. After a while you'll be carving between cars in parking lots like nobody's business! :waving:

·
Ignoramus Primus
303 Posts
imported post

Don't look down as you come to a stop. If you look down, you go down. Don't know if that was your issue or not but it is true.

I'm a 'left foot down' at most stops. Some folks are both feet down so that will determine if you come to a stop perfectly upright or with a a slight lean at the last micro-second. It doesn't take a lot of off-center to get past the point of no return (as you discovered). Just takes staying alert and aware and some practice and pretty soon it comes naturally.

I've dropped my 1500 once - dead stopped in my driveway. I dropped my 1200 twice. One in my driveway as I leaned it up off the side stand and went too far. Another time in someone elses driveway that was a steep slope and leaned the wrong way - DUH!

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
imported post

I dropped mine twice in the first couple months of owning her and probably two of the best lessons I've had. When backing or moving slowly from a start be sure to not turn the bars too sharp and make sure you have a strong grip on the bars while doing so. After a while you'll be carving between cars in parking lots like nobody's business! :waving:

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

There are three types of Goldwing or any bike owners.

Those that have dropped their bike.

Those that will drop their bike.

And those that just admire their bike from a distance.:cheesygrin:

·
Premium Member
3,722 Posts
imported post

Method to right bike.

The GoldWing will generally lay only so far over, somewhere near 40-45 degrees thanks to low center of gravity/protection bars.

1a) If on Right side down, turn motor off, put transmission in 1st gear, and extend sidestand now (you will be on wrong side to do it later)

1b) If on Left side down, turn motor off, put transmission in 1st gear. (you cannot put sidestand down, but you will be able to in a moment)

2) Back up to bike placing your butt in seat, knees bent, you are facing awayfrom side of bike now.

3) With the hand nearest to rear of bike, grab lower passenger handhold.

4) With the hand nearest front of bike, grab lowest handlebar grip and pull up 'till fork is turned to stop.

5) Now backup, straightening legs, holding lower passenger handhold and lower grip, the bike will set up easier than you ever imagined.

... If on right side of bike, gently ease back till it sets on previously extended sidestand.

... If on left side, use heel of right shoe to extend sidestand while still holding bike up.

6) Practice a couple times on pad or out in your yard (grass is soft).

·
Busdriver
1,037 Posts
imported post

If your bike is laying on it's side and you have to shut off the motor, then your bank angle sensor is bad.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

busdriver wrote:
If your bike is laying on it's side and you have to shut off the motor, then your bank angle sensor is bad.
The misnamed "bank angle sensor" only started in 1988 with the 1500.
A better name would be "tip sensor".
Earlier Wings relied on operator input or fuel starvation to shut off when dropped.

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
imported post

I started out with the 1500, and dropped it about 15 times. I was really embarased about it the first time, but have since, "forgot about te people watching" It is embarrassing at first, but then you learn to deal with it.

After, anouit 18 months, I bought my self a brand new 2010, 1800. The 1500, had a higher CFG, and thats why I thought I dropped it a lot.

Well within 6 weeks of owning my new wing, I had eventually dropped it 27 times. As I found ound out, it was always on the left side.

I have a bad asnkle, thus the weakness on the left side. But, I do have to say, the 1800's definately have a lowere cfg than the 1500's.

I am proud of my 1800, and am starting to learn, that the old ways, ae not necessarily the good ways.

Once you learn how to pick up a wing, you will never forget. Its always easy, once you learn.

Good luck buds

:18black:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

One thing to remember is that when a Goldwing wants to lay down for a bitkeep your body parts, especially the feet, out from under. You can't really hold it up and it you try too hard you may end up pinned to the ground. Don't ask... luckily for me it was on my lawn but I still walked funny for a week. One hazard with a 1500 is that it's cold blooded and doesn't want to run until it's warmed up a bit. If you try to take off with a cold bike it's not unusual for the engine to quit. If you happen to be making a sharp slow turn at the time it's going to go down. Don't ask about that either.

BTW - appropos of nothing I recently discovered that when starting a cold bike or one that's been sitting overnight you can avoid that initial "clunk and lurch" when shifting into first gear. After starting the bike hold the clutch lever in for about 15 seconds and it will just click nicely into first gear with no lurch.

·
Premium Member
521 Posts
imported post

Thanks for these replies guys, makes me feel a whole lot better for me forgetting to put my feet down when coming to a stop at an intersection..!!!!....Aaw come on guys !!...I do have floorboards and it was real "comfy"....!!! :D

·
Premium Member
1,046 Posts
imported post

I started riding again this year after a loooooong layoff ('79). As of now, I have yet to drop my 1500. I dropped my Harly once. This was at a gas station, & from failing to do the most basic thing, putting the kick stand down before getting off.:lash:

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the official Bank Angle Sensor Tester club. As a new member of BAST, send your information (bike year, location of "Test", relative humidity, sunspot activity, and the number of incandescent bulbs you still have in your household), and I will email you my article "How not to be embarrassed when you 'wing wants to take a short nap, and 9 other gravity induced occurrences", plus if you order before Christmas, I'll throw in a copy of "Gyroscopy: It's Your Friend" for separate shipping, handling, processing, boxing, taping, and wear & tear on my boots walking to the mailbox. Again, a wholehearted "Welcome" from your local BAST membership...

·
Premium Member
558 Posts
imported post

galaxyhunter wrote:
was at a gas station, & from failing to do the most basic thing, putting the kick stand down before getting off.
I did the exact same thing with my GL1200 ! :ssshh:

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

now come on just say it like it is...

it was tired and decided to just lay down for a nap

or another good one..

i park it that way you got a problem with that?

·
Premium Member
1993 gl1500, 1976 gl1000
3,793 Posts
imported post

Now with all this info, get yourself to a parking lot and practice your slow speed maneuvering. Then practice some more.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
imported post

I've learned the following technique for making beautiful straight stops on my 1500:

1) About 20-30ft prior to your stop point, and while in 1st gear, slowly lower your Right foot --I notice that lowering only one foot maintains the bike's stability much better than lowering both simultaneously.
2) At the pont where 1st gear no longer is slowing the bike, pull/hold in the clutch and gently lower your right foot... the bike will become slightly unstable during that last 10ft, during which time use your right foot to either lightly Tap the ground to bring the bike upright, or Plant it solidly along with a brake input... The goal is to be both leaning slightly to the Right, and wheel slightly to the right, when stopped.
3) As the Stop is attained, now lower your left foot --Or remain only on your right foot for the duration of the stop.
4) Note, given that the bike is still in gear (with clutch held in), you have the ability to Ride away from any screw-up on the landing ---eg Quite different than if you came to a stop while in Neutral, and fall-over due to leaning too far to one side.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.